TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Too much rpm while idle, and a terrible ride  (Read 3977 times)

Eelco

• 1991 Capri
Too much rpm while idle, and a terrible ride
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:26 AM »

Hello everybody,

I would like to start with introducing myself. I am Eelco, 24 and living in the Netherlands. Since august 2013 I have a Capri, and I think it is a great car. Also is it extremely rare. There are 83 Capri's registerd from the 1990-1994 model, how much there are actually driving I have no idea. But I will introduce myself better, first of all the problem.

When the car is cold, everything is ok. But when the water temperature is correct, the check engine light comes on. The strangest thing about that is; when the light is on everything is ok, but when the light is off it's running like shit. The rpm shoots to 1500 when it's idle and it is difficult to drive with it. It just gets too much fuel.

The check engine codes are number 9 and number 26. But the ECT sensor looks ok and the CANP is really difficult to find here, nobody has it. But can de ECT sensor be the main reason of the problems that I have with the car? If it is, is the ECT sensor at the back of the motor the same as the one on the side of the motor? I don't have the original ford/mercury parts number of the one on the side.

And sorry if my english is not good, the last few years I speak more german than english. ;D

Jim Simms

• 1991 XR2 Cardinal Red, great body, needs paint
Re: Too much rpm while idle, and a terrible ride
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »

You will be glad you are here on this site.
You have the best, most knowledgeable persons here.
Your English is just fine.
Many Americans wish their English were as good as yours.
Jim

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »

The ECT sensor is in the bottom of the intake manifold, it is different from the other two coolant sensors neat the thermostat. One is for the gauge, one is for the radiator fan. The ECT tells the ECU what the coolant temp is.

In this image the head/intake manifold are removed & flipped upside down, and the ECT is the green plug on the right side. It can be accessed without removing these pieces, if I remember right its size is 17mm

They are readily available here in the US maybe if you look for a Mazda 323 there you may have better luck (88/89 year)
The purge solenoid is a different story, used may be your best bet. Put a call in to Russ @ Roo-sport he may be able to locate one for you.

Check to make sure the solenoid is not cracked or the lines to/from it are leaking first.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Eelco

• 1991 Capri
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »

Right, at this moment I'm allready glad that I bumped in to this forum. First I'm going to check the ECT. Could the ECT also be dirty? My valve cover gasket has been leaking, I've replaced that for a new one, so maybe it has been leaking on the ECT sensor. Or isn't this possible?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:25:14 PM »

This forum is a wealth of information - I wish we had more folks post here. I doubt oil would reach the sensor, probably wouldn't hurt it - sometimes they do seem to go bad over time for some reason. I've seen a few fail.

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Jim Simms

• 1991 XR2 Cardinal Red, great body, needs paint
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »

Russ got me a purge solenoid a year or so ago. He is the go to guy.
I broke mine while replacing the hose from the canister.
The hoses adhere to the plastic, so be very careful removing hoses from plastic components.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »

Necrod.

Why is it that when I search for a purge valve, I get something like a cp402 in a standard products? Not anything close to what we actually have.