TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: capri - high rpms dont know why.  (Read 4852 times)

antagonist356

• White 1992 N/A Mercury Capri
capri - high rpms dont know why.
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »

If my car is in drive and im sitting at a redlight or whatever the rpms are low, like 700 or something like that, but whenever it is sitting and in park it goes up to 1400-1600 rpms???

also my daily commute is 12 miles to and from college on the highway, when im going faster my rpms seem high to me, at 50 mph my rpms are sitting at about 3200 and at 60 mphs im at 3950...this seems high to me, but i know capri's do a lot of weird things

is this normal?
is it something i NEED to get fixed?
or is it just an old car thing?

thanks in advance!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: capri - high rpms dont know why.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »

No, something isn't right here. Idle should be 850-950, maybe 1k. and it should be just about the same in Park as it is n Drive. Is your AC on? The computer will bump the idle way up if your AC is on & working.

I don't think you should be pulling 4k rpm at ~60mph. I don't own an auto though, maybe someone else can chime in. Is it shifting through all the gears? This would likely be an unrelated issue to above
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »

Chart out of the repair manual for automatic transmission:

Gear       1000 rpm      2000 rpm    3000 rpm      4000 rpm
1st          6 mph           12 mph      19 mph         25 mph
2nd        11 mph           22  mph     34 mph         45 mph
3rd         17 mph           35 mph      52 mph         69 mph
Overdrive 25 mph           50 mph      74 mph         99 mph

Looks like you aren't getting into overdrive (4th gear really).  And you are getting band slipping in 3rd at higher rpms.   You could drive it this way, just getting bad gas mileage and wearing out the engine a little faster than normal, but I would be leery of the transmission.  One issue could be busted overdrive internal to the transaxle, or maybe a solenoid needs replacing.  The band slipping could be causing the lack of shifting however, which means the fix would be a tranny rebuild.

Could the high idle be related to this?  I gotta claim ignorance...

General question... anyone EVER been over 100 mph in an automatic? ...Chris

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »

Is the manual over ride button not engaged on the auto shifter?  If so, that would keep you from hitting fourth and make your rpms run higher at highway speeds. 

If the engine is cold and in park, the rpms are going to run a bit higher.  I'll check the "rpms in park" issue on my auto tonight. 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »

**Disclaimer**  I am very much a novice to this stuff, so take my input with a grain of salt. 

When the car is in park or neutral, isn't the drive shaft disengaged, thus allowing the engine to spin more freely at idle and therefore at a higher rpm idle?  When the car is in gear, the drive shaft is engaged and engine is "taxed" with pushing the drive shaft and the rpms are lower. 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

antagonist356

• White 1992 N/A Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

rocketman - my a/c doesnt work and neither does the heat, so i leave everything in the off position. It feels like it shifts fine, i don't feel any hesitation in it from the transmission.

blueamber - i dont know if this car can even make it over 100mph stock lol.

grantduffield - I have never seen a manual shift button on a car before so i do not touch it, i dont know how it works, and i don't have an instruction booklet. Its probably in my glovebox but i cant open it because i haven't bought a handle for the glovebox yet.

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:55:18 PM »

Hello my friend.  If you are still having the problems with your tranny, take Grants advice and just push the little manual override button on the shifter.  This is like the old electric overdrives in the British cars of the 60s and 70s.  When the override is on, it does not allow the tranny to shift into overdrive.  It can't hurt to just push it and see if you get a positive result.

Just a thought.  Good luck with it.

Capri-guy

• 1994 Capri N/A & '86/'98 Saab 9000
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 07:11:38 AM »

there it is:

the small button, which says 'OD OFF'
1994 Mercury Capri 1.6 16v, reef green 173k mi.
1998 Saab 9000CSE 2.0t LPT Anniversary Scarab green 203k mi.
1986 Saab 9000CC 2.0i Odoardo grey, 153k km.