TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Dash Light module?  (Read 6302 times)

Hrspowr

• 91 capri
Dash Light module?
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »

Hi,

New Capri owner.  Picked up a 91 Base model for my wife.  Going through it fixing all the misc. things that were left untouched for the last few years.  It has no dash lights. Looking at previous posts, it looks like it might be the illumination module.  This part seems to be nonexistant!  Can't find any Capri's in any wrecking yards in Oregon.

Anyone have one laying around they would like to sell?  Or better yet, has anyone successfully bypassed the control, and wired full voltage to the dash lights switched by the headlight switch?  Dimming not important, but my wife wont drive it after dark!

Dan

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Dash Light module?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »

Welcome to TeamCapri!

I've seen a bad headlight switch causing illumination issues. Dimmer switch can cause it too. I might have a spare one if not Russ @ Roo-Sport will.

I imagine it's possible to bypass the module as well. Might even be able to do it through the radio wiring.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Chicken

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »

It is very likely the switch.  Those kind of things are listed on ebay all the time.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

Hrspowr

• 91 capri
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »

Think most likely headlight or dimmer switch?  Hate throwing parts without some kind of diagnosing.

The clock light does come on when turning on headlights.  Does not dim when working the rotary wheel dimmer though.

itsmeisatu

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »

Have you checked to see if you have tail lights-- along with no dash lights I also had no tail lights when headlight switch was bad.
George

Hrspowr

• 91 capri
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

Have taillights.  Clock lights up with headlight switch.  No radio in car.

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »

Yeah, the headlight switch is usually the culprit, but if you have tail lights then that's not the problem.

The Panel Lamp Control Module is behind the instrument panel, left side.  I've never seen one cause I've never had one go bad, but my diagram indicates the module has 2 wire bundles going from it with 2 connectors, one over to the dimmer switch, the other to connect to the instrument panel lighting.

Disconnect that lighting connector, should be yellow and white w/4 wires, near?? the module behind the instrument panel.  On the connector side NOT going to the module, jump the red with black stripe wire (12 volts with lights on) to the 2 red with green stripe wires.  Black wire is ground.

Should work.  I never use the dimmer either.

Probably not this week, but when If I get a chance I'll tear into my parts car and pull that module so I'm smarter about Capri wiring...Chris

Chicken

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »

Excellent post  ^^^^

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

Hrspowr

• 91 capri
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »

Nice.  Thanks,  haven't been able to read the wiring diagrams online.  Will try on next day off Thursday.

blueamber

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »

If you are thinking of looking at those wiring diagrams on techcapri.com, they work, but are horrible to use.  I have scanned the electrical manual for the 94, mostly the same as the other years, it's over on the yahoo capri site in the files section, '94 manuals'.  It's pdf divided into sections, needs work to make it searchable, but very easy to visualize and has location diagrams, connector descriptions, really nice...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:37:18 AM »

Chris, If I made a file section here on this site would you be willing to upload or have them hosted here as well? This server is a bit limited on space but we should be able to do it
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »

I made those scans to share with the community, so offering them here would be great...Chris

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »

I went out to the yahoo site and checked out those pdfs.  Having them here would be great.

IMHO, I think electricity is really just dark magic dressed up as science.  But, the FSM diagrams truly are like mandarin translated into pig latin.  The manuals you scanned/provided make the capri electrical voodoo much more accessible. 

Thanks!
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Hrspowr

• 91 capri
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »

Thanks for the bypass info Blueamber!  Worked perfectly!  Entire dash lights up like it should (except no dimming).

Modern capri parts wanted like $189 for a used module.  10 minutes and alls good!

:-)