TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 1991 Mercury Capri  (Read 15385 times)

bluexr7

• 1919 Mercury Capri
1991 Mercury Capri
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »

Hi I am new to this site so if I belong somewhere else would appreciate help.  My 15 year old grandson bought a 1991 Mercury Capri non turbo.  Was running very well at first.  He installed a different radio and amp one of the wires sparked popped blew a fuse in block.  Since that time vehicle starts runs great until you stop and turn it off.  Totally dead.  He has gone through 3 alternators battery Good  but meter only shows 12 at all times.  Previous alternators were rebuilt Auto Zone now they order him a brand new one but if it don't solve problem won't be able to return.  Anyone have advice why this is happening. 

Trackerrrr

• 1991 BMW 525I, 1991 Capri N/A, 2011 Kia Sedona
Re: 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »

I sent you a PM.
Chris
Retired Air Force MSgt

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »

Hmm. Could be a damaged relay, welded shut. Could also be a compromised wire somewhere in the harness that's shorting out. Tough to diagnose from here.

You could use a multimeter to check for voltage/drain across the different fuses once the ignition is off.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »

Is your alternator the Bosch?  I had one rebuilt 3 times, bad junk China regulators bad out of the box, finally got a junkyard one that worked..

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »

Seems like getting a good reman for the 85 amp unit. I am on my third with O'Reilly. Although, the first time it failed, the local cantankerous rebuilder in St. Paul said he couldn't get proper windings for it, or whatever the hell part he said he couldn't get. Might be indicative of a sourcing issue with bigger remanufacturing plants, which would explain the regulator failing in mine repeatedly.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 12:13:52 AM »

You can switch to the newer 70A Mistubishi alternator, it uses a different lower mounting bolt and a different plug. You can grab these bits from the junkyard.
It looks like you might be able to grab the plug from Rockauto brand new, too.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"