TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Alternator Tensioner: Gauging interest  (Read 8334 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Alternator Tensioner: Gauging interest
« on: January 07, 2019, 02:36:51 PM »

Hello all,

What are everyone's thoughts on a proper alternator tensioner?
The product would be an add-on to the existing alternator tensioner set up, adding a block with a long screw such as the one used to tension the power steering/ac belt.
This would eliminate the prybar/12mm wrench kung-fu process that many of us have finely honed over the years. Add tension with the screw, and then tighten down to set it.

I have not fully fleshed out the design yet, but figured I would ask for interest & input here.
I should be able to pull it off using most of the existing components, switching out some hardware and adding some pieces.
It may require a new bracket, in which case I will design a new bracket with longer throw as the stock setup is setup rather poorly and generally uses the last bit of available space.

Would this be an effort and time-saver? What would you budget for an item like this?
The cost is currently undetermined, but I will have an idea once a design is finished and prototype is made.

Thoughts? Is this a solution to a problem that doesnt exist? lol.

-Rocketman
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Alternator Tensioner: Gauging interest
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »

Interesting.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »

Seems to me that this is a solution to a problem that everyone puts up with because they have no other choice. There are posting weekly on the facebook group from people wrestling with the issue.  I have 3 capri's,so I am definitely interested. Just a swag, but I would consider $75-100 for a complete kit....bracket, belt, tension pulley.
John

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »

I would like to do this as well. Sounds like it could be sold across several platforms as well. The 323 guys would eat this up I would think.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 12:04:28 PM »

Seems to me that this is a solution to a problem that everyone puts up with because they have no other choice. There are posting weekly on the facebook group from people wrestling with the issue.  I have 3 capri's,so I am definitely interested. Just a swag, but I would consider $75-100 for a complete kit....bracket, belt, tension pulley.

That would be an automatic belt tensioner setup.

What Rocketman is suggesting is a tensioner that's similar to what the Miata has.

Edit: Couldn't you just use the 2000-2005 Kia Rio bracket and its' longer top alternator bolt?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:30:47 PM by chrispoe »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 10:40:29 PM »

I didn't know they had them on the Kias or Miatas. Why wouldn't they do that for the Capri!?!

Finding pics of the Kia part is proving difficult. The Miata part is almost what we are looking for, but it would have to be modified (unsure to what extent) to mount to our block (the Miata does not have an engine mount in the way to deal with)

My mindset is that it would be best & easiest to start from scratch, make something exact fit without modifying other parts or relying on junkyard or NOS dealer stock
The more we could do, the cheaper it could be to an extent
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 12:34:23 AM »

Here's a pic of the Kia Rio's Alternator bracket. It mounts to the engine via the same bottom engine mount bolt as the stock Capri's alternator bracket does. Just remember to grab the longer top alternator bolt too cuz it runs thru the tensioner block and bracket unlike ours that just goes thru the bracket.