TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 323gt LSD transmission  (Read 3693 times)

CapriXR2

323gt LSD transmission
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:32:46 AM »

What is the 1988 Mazda 323GT MT named? I want power to both wheels. I was thinking a new clutch while I'm in there. Probly have to use GT axles.. Will it fit? Has anyone done this? 

Thanks
-Brian

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 323gt LSD transmission
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:12 AM »

The 88/89 Mazda 323 GT used the same exact transmission and axles as we have, a G5MR transmission. It was not LSD, same open diff as ours.

There's a bolt-in LSD available for our transmission, made by MFactory. There's a sticky thread in the "Aftermarket" forum with all the info you'll need :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriXR2

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

I had an 88323GT that put power to both wheels. So there is no difference? Well that sucks. I can get a 323GT trans for 300 but those differentials are too pricy.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »

Matt is correct...same drive train as the XR-2 except for the connecting rods in the B6T. Your GT tranny could have had a Phantom grip installed in it but they are all open diffs from the factory...guaranteed.

CapriXR2

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »

Are there any factory LSD 5spd MT's available that can be swapped in? Direct fit? 

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »

Short answer: nope.

There was a Familia LSD transmission that was super-rare in JDM-land, but it required special axles to fit it and those were even harder to find than the transmission itself. So cost of locating one + axles + freight across the Pacific, etc.. $$$ and it's still going to get walked over by a modern LSD.

We're lucky that the MFactory is available, before then it was either a Kaaz LSD ($$$$) or modifying one from a MSProtege (Also $$$$, and unreliable) and modifying the transmission to fit. Neither were good options.

There's the Phantom Grip (Phantom "Slip") that's hotly debated whether or not it actually works, it's not a real LSD by any means. There has been more than one instance where it was the direct cause of a differential failure in a G-series so I'm not going to recommend it.

How much power are you making? If traction/torque steer is an issue - invest in a quality alignment & some wider, stickier front tires. We have equal length axles already to help mitigate torque steer, if it's an issue things may be worn out.

Other things to help reduce torque steer:
urethane lower control arm bushings
front strut tower bar
Strut/spring work
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"