TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Brake shimmy  (Read 7744 times)

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
Brake shimmy
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »

Hi everyone,

Last month I purchased a 94 Capri N/A manual and have fallen in love with it.  I've noticed a brake shimmy and would like to replace the pads and rotors.  I'd like to know what brands/styles others have used with success.  I'm not looking to heavily modify this car, I won't be racing it, just have it as an enjoyable ride that feels great.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:10:44 AM by 94daves »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Brake shimmy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »

Stock rotors & a generic ceramic pad seem to work well for me on my stock XR2. Keep in mind that rotors are quite hard to change on these cars.
-The rears have bearings and studs pressed into them, they are part of the hub. These don't need to be done very often.
-The fronts require the knuckles to be removed and the bearings pressed apart to remove the rotor. This is a tedious but not impossible task. If you have a shop do the fronts, let us know as there are special instructions for setting pre-load on the front bearings.

There's two sizes of front rotors, make sure you measure yours before buying new ones.

And welcome to TeamCapri! I like the cardinal red 94's.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »

Thank you for the info.  Yes, I plan on having a local shop do the fronts and the rears.  I'm sure they don't see too many Capris so please let me know about setting the pre-load so I can inform them.

I measured my rotors - about 10" front, 8.5" rear.  Are these standard sizes?

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:02 PM »

Anyone know if the rotor sizes I measured are typical or common sizes to find replacements for?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »

In this case www.rockauto.com is your friend

They have listings for fronts  - a 9 3/8" rotor and a 10 3/16" rotor. Sounds like you have the 10.xx" rotors.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »

Gotcha.  Great way to double check.  Thanks.