TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fuel leaking out of exhaust manifold & tailpipe area  (Read 9241 times)

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
fuel leaking out of exhaust manifold & tailpipe area
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »

I have a 1991 xr2 turbo and have had rough idle accelaration type issues.  I noticed fuel is coming out around the exhaust and even blowing back to the tailpipe at times. I have changed the cold temp sensor (?) which is next to the turbo with no improvement. I checked the fuel pump cutoff in the trunk, plugs 1 & 3 seem very wet when inspecting but 2& 4 seem bone dry. Any other thoughts ?
Fuel injectors- fuel rail- o2 sensor ???
Help please.
Thanks,

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: fuel leaking out of exhaust manifold & tailpipe area
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »

The coolant temp sensor for the ECU is in the bottom of the intake manifold nearest the distributor. I'm not sure of any sensors next to the turbo. There are two other coolant sensors, the one in the thermostat housing controls the fan (has zero to do with the ECU and fuel) and the third is in the head right behind the thermostat, it's for the temp gauge only.

Have you tried checking to see if 2 & 4 injectors are firing? You can use a screwdriver or a dowel as a stethoscope and listen, compare them to the other cylinders.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »

all 4 injectors are clicking . fuel is coming out of the o2 sensor right on the front of the exhaust. I plugged and unplugged all the connections coming off or going to the fuel rails , turbo housing near the fuel rails.still leaking alot of fuel around the exhaust manifold.

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »

#1 and #3 injectors share the same control line from the ecu.  Maybe ecu is bad, leaving those injectors on too long, flooding those cylinders with fuel.

Excess gas not burning off would foul those two plugs.

Also, gas gets into the oil in cases like this, so whenever you figure this out, change the oil before you get back onto the road...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »

Thats still an awful lot of fuel spitting past, if it's coming out at the 02 sensor it would be enough to hydrolock the engine

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:28:43 AM »

where would I find that ecu for 1&3 to check it? How could i tell ?

Thanks,

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

If it was me, I'd pull a good xr2 ecu from my stash and swap it out.  That's great to have one, but the bad is the mess my garage is in with Capri parts!!!

The last Capri I flipped (bought/fixed/sold) had a bad ecu because the battery had been connected backwards.  Tried to run good but didn't try very hard.  After a good ecu installed and oil change (was 50/50 oil-gas, it was thin!) it purred and sold itself.

The ecu is under the dash, used ones pop up occasionally on ebay for $50 or so, don't know how to try to test that individual injector power line, swapping ecus is a 15 minute job, just make sure you get an xr2 type as the n/a types are different.

I just don't know any way lots of excess gas can get into the exhaust unless it's from the injectors through the cylinders.
If it was a bad fuel pressure regulator (too much pressure/ too much gas) I'd think all 4 plugs would show excess gas.
It could be a coincidence that those two plugs are wet so I'd replace plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor/etc to be thorough if you haven't done so yet.

I'm trying to remember where I saw someone describing a similar problem, search this site and maybe the yahoo group for similar...Chris

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »

I have a 1994 xr2 turbo at a pull a part locally. Do you have any pics or direction to go once under the dash ?
Thanks for all your help !

blueamber

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »

There is a 1994 xr2 at a local junk yard near Auburn, GA?  I need to talk more about that...

The manual at techcapri.com should help if you didn't know that was available.

The ecu is under the dash, on the car's midline, attached to the firewall.  Remove the console panels near the passenger and drivers feet to get to it.  It is usually aluminum color with one whole end full of 3 connectors and lots of wires, about 4"x5".  Patience and simple tools and a limber body, and it will come out.  Don't put it in a plastic bag, paper is ok to keep static charges down that could damage it.

It doesn't have to be completely reinstalled to try it out, just the connectors put on and it can hang there for a road test.  If the new ECU doesn't help, you can keep it as a spare or sell on ebay, they are good sellers.

So, screw that, what junk yard has the 94 xr2, what color, what parts are still left on it (7 spoke wheels, spoiler, side trim, tail lights, leather seats), VIN, verify its really a 94?  There was a cobalt blue one in sorry shape up that way a few years back...Chris

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »

this one is white, rag top of course. in norcross .thanks for the manual info, that will help bunches!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »

Easiest way to pull an ECU - you'll need a 10mm ratchet and a phillips screwdriver if the kickpanels are still in place.

Use remove the kickpanels, there's a few phillips heads on each side
You'll see the ECU up against the firewall. Remove the 3 plugs from the passenger side
Remove the 2 10mm bolts on the passenger side, they hold the mounting bracket down.
Remove the 1 10mm bolt on the driver side, holding the mounting bracket down. This bracket is longer
BEND the d/s bracket up toward the gas pedal. You won't hurt it

The ECU will then slide out to the passenger side, it will take some wiggling past the harnesses but it comes right out.
The screws that hold the brackets on are often corroded, remove these with vicegrips once it's out of the car.

Go strip that 94 XR2!

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »

Thanks for the help sir. I hope to get this done over the weekend and feel much more confident about it now!  ;)

91xr2forfun

• 91 Mercury Capri Turbo
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »

Hopefully you've figured out the problem by now. Not sure if you still need ideas, but my only experience with fuel leaking into my exhaust turned out to be a cracked ring. With the lost compression the raw gas just spilled into the exhaust pipe. That was not in my Capri though. With luck your situation will be an easy fix. Let us know how it turns out.

james sheppard

• 1991 xr2 capri
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »

replaced the ECU and we are purring like a kitten !!!
Thanks for all the help guy's !
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!! :D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »

Fantastic! Thank you for the update!

Pages: [1] 2