TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Plasti-Dipping adventures!  (Read 17172 times)

keyfoot

• 1993 mercury Capri xr2
Re: My Plasti-Dipping adventures!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:45 AM »

I recently used the stuff to paint the front and rear bumpers black on my silver capri (two spray cans used).  it hides the scuffs and discolorations really nicely. the product was developed for use with hand tools in order to give them the "rubberized" grip that some tools come standard with.  therefore, i gotta think the stuff holds up well.  i have had no scratches or road chips yet.   

When did ya apply it?  And post some pictures, would love to see your car

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »

Rain and snow do not affect it all. Road debris won't hurt it unless you get hit by a pretty big rock. It can be susceptible to scratching by sharp objects, but it is easily repaired. Cleaning/drying is a bit of a challenge if you prefer to hand wash. Most cloths will leave lint all over it. Your best bet is to get a "dip washer" from dipyourcar.com to prevent that. Or just taking it to a car wash! Pressure washing and automatic car washes with the brushes don't hurt it either. It's pretty hardy stuff! I sprayed mine in my garage, so weather wasn't an issue. If you do it outside, stay out of direct sunlight as it tends to try super fast as it is. Oh, and if you intend to do the whole car DO NOT use rattle cans. You can use any HVLP (high volume low pressure) sprayer to apply the dip.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

keyfoot

• 1993 mercury Capri xr2
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »

Thx. I'm highly considering doing this in a few months. Ill post pics when I do ^-^

Sceeter

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »

Tony, Before you moved was the garage still orange? LoL  John   

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 12:11:58 AM »

My other cars were in my driveway when I painted my GTXR2 (legit painted) and I can still see some flecks/overspray on them :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »

Hi there!

Wow!! That Plasti-Dip really looks good! I have seen it advertised and watched videos of people doing their cars and wheels with it.
  I have a 91 Capri. Its Cardinal Red and has never been in winter weather. The body is great for a car that is 23 years old and never been painted. For a car that doesn't have a clearcote finish, it has a deep shine to it after waxing.. The only problem are the wheels. I cleaned them up after getting the car but they are losing their finish. I have seen the Plasti-Dip videos and the finshed products look really really good! My wheels are the standard 91 geometric design 14" rims. So many small holes that I wonder if I will have a hard time doing them. vI guess only one way to find out is to do one and see how it looks when finished. I'll let you know what happens.

XR2Man.....Jim

wadd84gt

• 91 Capri, 84 Mustang
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »

the rims are easy to do no need to tape off tires, just peel off over spray.  don't even need to take wheels off car.  I just cleaned mine with brake cleaner  and then sprayed them with gunmetal grey and then the silver metallic and then clear  used 2 cans of grey 1/2 car of metallic and 1 can of clear for all four wheels.  grand total was around $30  and about 3hrs of work.

before
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/wadd84gt/media/Capri/ruby2_zpsb33705f4.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
after
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/wadd84gt/media/Capri/IMG_1918_zps9c5dde22.jpg.html?sort=3&o=20

next spring going to put new rims and wheels on it
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:36:16 PM by wadd84gt »

Snigalfriz

• 1991 NA Capri
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »

I gave it a try today.  It is very cool.  I mixed equal parts black and red.  It turn out pretty good.  I finished it the dark, so I expect to have to do some touch up.
Why? I have more time than money, that's why I work on this car!

1991 Mercury Capri 5-sp
1992 Mercury Capri 5-sp swap
1999 Ford Contour SE 24v v6
2003 Lincoln LS
2007 Saturn Outlook XE AWD
2014 Chevy Cruze LT

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »

This is the first time I've read this thread. Pretty interesting stuff that I'll have to experiment with.

A view from the other side, I use to wire homes in my younger years. All electricians use Klein tools and mostly all remove the rubber coating and dip in Plasti-Dip. We usually dipped three times to get a good thick coat on. The stuff lasts a lifetime. It can scuff like when dropping a tool but it's rubber and resists much abuse.

From what I remember they only had one color but that might of been what all electricians used. It was a maroon/burgundy color and it was opaque. It seems like I bought it at Home Depot.

It's good the company come a long ways and probably raised sales ten fold.

On the bright side if you plow over a power pole you won't get electrocuted. :)

jfassivess

• 92 Capri Turbo, Chevy Traverse
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »

Interesting pics!  I'm wondering IF this plasti-coat is what's on my spoiler.  I noticed bumps in one area of the spoiler, then I could feel, "it's plastic coating".  Without tearing things apart, my guess is; damage/rust and it was"coated" over, without proper prep work.  This guess is based on a small area of rust, on trunk deck, where spoiler attaches.  ANY IDEAS, based on this description? 

StreetDoc

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »

I may have missed the answer to this question, but how much prep work is required prior to Plasti-Dip application? Sanding and cleaning or just a good wash?
1991 Mercury Capri XR2
2000 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »

You really just need a good cleaning. Make sure you get ALL of the dirt, oil, grime etc. If you have major scratches, you may want to sand those down, otherwise just clean real well and spray!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

StreetDoc

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »

I think I am going to start with the wheels and go from there. Thanks for the info!
1991 Mercury Capri XR2
2000 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
Pages: 1 [2]