TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Treatise on Turbo Upgrades  (Read 47029 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: A Treatise on Turbo Upgrades
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »

BP Performance posted today a dyno chart on a 92 Miata B6 with a Chinese turbo kit.  The car has 180K and no other modifications, they got 216hp and 202tq on chassis dyno with 11-12 psi of boost.  They show a chart on their FB page. It shows like 200hp all the way to 7K.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

rls120

• 1991 Mercury Capri xr2, 1994 Wrangler, 1994 Saab
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »

Thanks!

Non interference is great news.   I don't mind if it leaves me walking, but I didn't want to destroy it.

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »

Ok, So who's competent nowadays in marrying the The VJ11/Tbird hybrid? Back when I was tuning MKI MX6GT's, there was a user SixSick6 I think, that worked at a turbo shop in Cali and sold these.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »

SixSick6
Now there is a name I haven't heard in years!

No idea on any current turbo rebuilders.

On my turbos I have used the whole CHRA and adapted the oil & coolant fittings, as opposed to breaking them apart to hybridize them, so as not to disturb the balance
The 16T upgraded 11/tbird I put together without balancing and had some issues with it, I'm unsure of the cause though, could have been a bad CHRA to begin with.

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

Even further back than that, I was on the MX6 yahoo group before MX6.com. There was a guy who was a tuner in Orlando that first told me about the VJ11/Tbird. Supposedly, this hybrid is the same trim and specs as the Ferrari F40 right side IHI turbo. Just thought that was a cool thing to note that some may not be aware of.

GT40 kook

• capri, festiva, GT40, etc
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »

Can anyone here tell me other makes and model of cars, maybe Subaru, that have used the VJ14?  I'm having a time finding a rebuildable turbo for my friend's low budget festiva project.  Found an old festiva with a 323 turbo engine in it and when I tore the turbo down for rebuild found it was beyond help. 

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »

The Capri and turbo 323 were the only cars that came with the VJ14. Your best bet is upgrading to the VJ11 hybrid (using the VJ11 core) those were used on the older Ford Probe GT and MX-6 GT with the 2.2L F2T engine. The VJ11 is the only other turbo that will mate to the stock manifold and the info on that is covered in the first post of this thread. Nothing else will bolt up, you will have to go custom with either adapters or a new manifold otherwise.

There's a UK seller selling brand new VJ11 CHRA assemblies on eBay for a reasonable price: www.ebay.com/itm/321141509784
You would still need the compressor housing and some other bits but it's a solid start
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 06:18:47 PM »

Hi.
I have managed to pick up a VJ11 CHRA and compressor housing so will be going down these lines.
 There's another method that does not require dis-assembly (& thus needing re-balancing) of the CHRA (center housing) but it is more overall work to install. You will need a whole VJ11 turbo in good shape! For those on a budget this may be the option for you, as rebuild/balancing can be quite pricey. For this method we will take the entire VJ11 assembly, and take off the iron turbine housing. The turbine wheels are the same. Fit the VJ14's turbine housing to the center section - you've now made essentially the same upgrade as above. The VJ11 has different coolant routing, and you'll need to test fit the turbo and adjust the placement/clocking of these fittings as needed. Again you will need to re-drill the VJ14's waste-gate actuator to fit. Use transmission cooler or similarly rated line to route new coolant lines, being sure not to kink them as the fitment is not like the stock soft lines.
My new units are still in the post so,
What is the mod required to the waste gate actuator. Is it the fixing bracket that needs drilling or the actual housing.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »

Hi guys here's a little info on the Subaru VF turbos mentioned at the top of this post.

VF10 uses the same 9 blade turbine as the vj14 and is a bolt on upgrade. The inlet to the compressor is different though its not hard to make something to adapt it to the existing j pipe.

VF8 is larger than VF10 and uses a different bigger 10 blade turbine wheel that does not fit the vj14 rear housing. It can be made to fit by using your VJ14's turbine wheel or having your Vj14 rear housing machined to fit the Bigger VF8's turbine wheel.

VF12 bigger again than the VF8 and uses the same larger 10 blade turbine shaft. Can be made to work in the same way as the VF8 by using the Vj14 turbine wheel or machining your vj14 housing bigger.

They all have the same inlet to the compressor which is different to the vj14.

The water lines both enter the turbo on the same side like the Vj11 CHRA and that needs hooking up differently than the vj14 as well but its not hard to  make it work, I used one of the water banjo lines from a vj11 and one from a vj14

I have heard the VF12 with the larger turbine will make up to 260hp!

I dono their availability in the USA but can be found in England, Australia and Japan of course!

VF8 AND VF10 can be found on older single turbo legacy and libertys (early 90's) and the VF12 came on  the Liberty RS of the same era

They still pop up from time to time on Ebay so keep your eyes peeled...

May the boost be with you!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:58:43 AM by Aus Capri »
Pages: 1 2 [3]