TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Who's gonna be the first to swap in a KL V6?  (Read 73578 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Who's gonna be the first to swap in a KL V6?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 01:40:33 AM »

Well, if I relocate the battery, it should be open enough under the bay for at least a 50 trim. Not saying that’s what I’m going to go with, but it seems to be what all the probe turbo kits come with for a KL.

I’m pretty excited about this project honestly, all I can do on deployment is just put the idea together.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »

As far as the wiring goes, I'm going to get the harness from the same wrecker yard from which I'm sourcing the engine and trans. I won't need the ECU, as I'm going directly to the MS PNP route for ease of turbo shenanigans down the road.
I'm going to get the Mfactory diff to make the axles work. (as long as the length of the axles doesn't fall short...)
Someone had mentioned getting the V6 master cylinder for the clutch, would this be necessary if I were to just use an N/A capri master instead?

Anything else from the wrecker car I'll need? I believe it was a 97.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »

Not sure on the finer details like wiring or clutch stuff, it hasn't been done in a Capri before so it's largely uncharted territory.

Might be some tasty nugs of info on Clubprotege. Haven't really looked for a wiring guide yet.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »

I think I've arrived at yet another rediculous goalpost for this project. After seeing some other vehicles having moved their powerplant to the trunk, I'm considering doing the same, because sick nasty donuts in place might be the only thing more satisfying than having the world's first V6 XR2. I'm putting together a budget for it, starting with the KL-DE from a 94 Probe, just to get it moving. It can be NA for now, just to see how it handles, but I really would enjoy turbo in the not-too-distant future. Obviously doing this would relocate ALL THE THINGS into the current engine bay, battery and new fuel cell(Maybe, might be able to make the factory one work in the space available) for the sake of weight distribution.

Anyway, what I'm working out is what I could use to utilize the same wheels and tires, while retaining the Z wheels I have had for 5 years or better, as I dig the offset and stance. If I use this differential http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05G26, I might be able to use the stock axles (540mm), provided they will accept the difference between them and the probes (541mm) with minor fab-fuckery. Since the PGT track width is almost 4" over that of the XR2, it may be possible to make up the difference in the jack-shaft rather than messing with suspension geometry any more than what is expected. What I'm HOPING will be the answer is being able to swap the XR2 outboard cv joint onto the PGT shafts, then figure out a bearing/hub combination that will jive, but the brakes may psoe an issue if the diameters don't also jive.
If they don't, then It may not be to late to just use ALL probe gear on the rear, and try to graft in some PGT knuckles, and (probably suspension, with top-hat-switching-frankenstien-fun) to make everything look fairly kosher.

This is exciting!  ::)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2020, 05:53:40 PM »

If you are using the stock PGT trans with the 26 spline Mfactory diff, the XR2 axles will work fine. The intermediate shaft needs a custom bracket to bolt to the probe block.
The track width should be correct with the XR2 axles.

The XR2 CV joints will not fit the PGT shafts. I've checked an OEM set, the spline counts are different. Aftermarket axles may be a different story but I wouldn't count on it.

I have recently set up my milling machine to cut custom splines, here is a test piece I did in aluminum, with an XR2 CV race fitted

So using this method, in the proper steel with proper heat treatment, it would be possible to make an axle that uses the PGT inner CV and the XR2 outer CV. No diff swap or mfactory needed. For a FWD swap. Hell you could theoretically make a custom axle for any make/model transmission that would physically fit. Where the HONDA bois at?!
My current setup could not handle the 15.5" axle length needed for this to work, I'd have to switch to my other mill with different tooling, but it is a neat proof of concept.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:55:39 PM by Rocketman »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2020, 06:12:02 PM »

Anyway, what I'm working out is what I could use to utilize the same wheels and tires, while retaining the Z wheels I have had for 5 years or better, as I dig the offset and stance. If I use this differential http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05G26, I might be able to use the stock axles (540mm), provided they will accept the difference between them and the probes (541mm) with minor fab-fuckery. Since the PGT track width is almost 4" over that of the XR2, it may be possible to make up the difference in the jack-shaft rather than messing with suspension geometry any more than what is expected. What I'm HOPING will be the answer is being able to swap the XR2 outboard cv joint onto the PGT shafts, then figure out a bearing/hub combination that will jive, but the brakes may psoe an issue if the diameters don't also jive.
If they don't, then It may not be to late to just use ALL probe gear on the rear, and try to graft in some PGT knuckles, and (probably suspension, with top-hat-switching-frankenstien-fun) to make everything look fairly kosher.

You're all over the place here man. There's going to be zero "minor fab-fuckery" it's going to be major fab no matter what. Remember you are needing a custom subframe at the minimum, and using FWD knuckles will likely need FWD control arms with a mounting point on your subframe for them.

No sense in using Probe knuckles if you are swapping the diff? It's a 5-lug hub anyways. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to try to stuff all that stuff if it is indeed 4" wider into the back, especially given the fixed nature of the OEM strut towers

Your best bet would be to use Capri front knuckles, which will fit the XR2 axles, with a custom subframe to mount the engine and control arms, with dummy tie-rods (which will make the suspension a bit unpredictable I think, but the Fiero used this setup) But figuring out how to run an e-brake in this configuration will be hard. I'm not sure what kind of room is available under the stock rear framerails for this.

An option I had considered was to use 323 GTX rear knuckles, which the XR2 axles will fit, with a custom rear subframe, and probably custom lateral links & trailing arms to fit the custom subframe. But 323 GTX rear knuckles and struts are difficult to find. This would permit the use of an OEM caliper with e-brake at least. This is the closest you would get to the OEM rear setup

You're looking at a lot of cutting, welding & fab just to fit the drivetrain, none of this will work with anything close to the stock rear axle, nor a mishmash of OEM parts, not to mention a new proper firewall and sealing it off with the boot lid

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2020, 08:29:45 AM »

Yeah, that’s just my brain, man.

Brake said it was concerned, I was considering just going to full hydraulic drift lock set up, no I would have to worry about running a proper a brake cable or anything to those garbage cantilever style parking brake type calipers.

Yeah, using Capri knuckles was my first thought, but it had also occurred to me to use the 323 GTX knuckles, but like you said they are incredibly hard to find.

When I refer to fabrication Fuckery, I know it’s a project. I expect there to be a good deal of custom items needed. I’ve been reading up on the concept of suspension geometry and different sets of stabilizing pieces. It would be interesting to have a Watts link set up for the mock tie rod ends.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]