TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Timing adjustments & Default details  (Read 4545 times)

Geno

• 94 N/A
Timing adjustments & Default details
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »

Hi

I'm working on my engine timing as of late and I'm trying to get it as close to factory spec but I'm finding myself at the mercy of my lack of knowledge and resources.

I noticed a helpful sticker on the hood that says the car should be times at 2degrees btdc.

Since adjusting the timing to what I think is closest to tdc my car lakes a 'supercharger' whirring sound - I remember someone posted about that symptom and the timing was the culprit (rocket's advice)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Timing adjustments & Default details
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:24:54 PM »

It's been a long time since I've had to set static timing on the engine. I'd recommend consulting the Factory Service Manual for the procedure.
If I recall correctly it involves removing the vacuum lines from the distributor so the vacuum advance is disabled

There are scans of the FSM at www.techcapri.com

Looks like under the 1991, System Diagnostics, Section 14 - Ignition Systems and Timing Procedures
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"