TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Damage from shop neglegence?  (Read 6530 times)

ace586

Damage from shop neglegence?
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:00 AM »

Hey everyone. I recently had a shop put on new rotors and pads. Some days down the road there was a bad grinding noise when cornering and i thought the pads were just loose or something and catching in the slots on the rotors. I parked it and drove my other Capri to work until I could go back and have them fix their issue.

Long story short, I never made it to the shop when i tried to take it back. My drivers front wheel completely butterflyed out leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. Pop off the wheel cap and there's my hub nut just sitting there next to the hole where the CV spindle should be. The grinding was the axle working its way out and messing up the gear (male and female) in the process.

What I need to know (not having done this myself on this particular car before) is, They did need to touch that nut to change the rotors, did they not? If not the same shop also did the suspension which they would also might have had to touch that nut. Just need some expert colaboration in case they try to charge me to fix the now completely screwed hub area.

Any advice?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »

Yes they would have had to remove the nut and press apart the knuckle to replace the rotor.

They may have neglected to replace the preload spacers between the bearing, which is certain doom for the bearings/hubs/knuckles.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »

So the nut backed off? If so it sounds like they did not flange it so it would not back off. That is something that should of been done & the nut would show it it been done or not. Something easily that can be proved that they did not do the work correctly.

If that was done it should of never backed out.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »

I have seen instances where the nut has been staked, but it backed off anyways because the preload spacers were missing. Allows way too much play in the system. The way it sounds, they may not have even torqued the axle nut down.

Either way, negligence is certainly to blame here

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »

YEP
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

ace586

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »

Ok, Happy ending to the story. Just got it back. They fixed everything no charge. Even got a brand new caliper out of it. Just for kicks, their side of the story...

They say that the axle itself was the wrong one for the car and the nut was also wrong on both fronts. The passenger front was also apparently about to go. They drilled a hole through the spindle and set up a cotter pin type deal so that it will never back off by itself again. They never mentioned the ground up gearing in there, but i assume they did something because how else was it going to work. They said the caliper was severely damaged from it falling apart and they just put on a new one. I did ask if it was the wrong axle why this hadn't happened before. Best they could figure it was just hammered on tight and torqued to the max and they were just the first people to take it off in a long time.

Anyways, I was all set to never go back to them but they spent 3 days fixing it and didn't even try to get more money out of me, which I was worried about.

Thanks for the quick advice and the picture!  

For reference the shop was Trackforged, Portland, Oregon.

Here's a pic.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »

Oh man, that story and picture don't really leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling...

Is this on an XR2? If so, there are only ONE possible set of CV axles that would even fit. I fail to see how a "wrong" axle would still drive the car flawlessly but have this kind of issue. Sounds like some BS.

Those are not the correct axle nuts, still aren't, those are a generic Dorman axle nut. If that's what they threw back on there originally, that's the issue. It must be a locking OE-style stakenut. I don't trust their "fix" and as far as I am concerned, they ruined your axles by drilling through them.

The "Gear" you refer to is the hub & axle spline, they positively lock the axle into the hub (torsionally - the axle won't spin inside the hub but it can still slide in/out for service) - if that was ground up from everything working loose, a whole bunch of things would have needed replaced, namely the axle & the hub - the axle I'm not sure but the hub is definitely the old one (unless they sourced junkyard parts?)

Did they mention replacing the bearings or anything of that nature?

Good on them that they didn't charge you anything to "fix" it but IMO it looks like one hell of a hackjob. Personally I'm not sure that I would trust their "fix"... The correct parts ARE available and inexpensive (stakenuts!) this is cheap and lazy!

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »

MacGyver fixed that shit!
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

ace586

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »

Yea, that was the nut that had been on the car since I bought it a couple years back. I've autocrossed the car and nothing bad happened before it got taken apart. It is an xr2 and I can see comparing the pictures that it's not the right nut. No they didn't mention anything about the spline, bearings, ect. After reading your response I'm not left with a fuzzy feeling either.

I'm going to go look for a stakenut. Is the hole in the axle a problem now?

ace586

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

Sorry about that.  My browser went crazy for a minute.  Wish there was a way to delete all those extra posts.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »

Dorman #618015 for the washer, & #615100 for the stakenut. Should be under $10 for all 4 pcs.

Unless you get OE style from the Ford/Mazda dealer - you won't need a washer then.

The hole in the axle, eh. Idk. You should be fine but I would personally have raised hell about that. If they took two seconds to look up the correct part they would not have done that.

I took care of the extra posts for you