TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Front Control Arm bolt  (Read 3620 times)

flytran

Front Control Arm bolt
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »

Working on my new to me 93 White Capri XR2. Really happy to have it and anxious to get it out while the weather holds.

Before I can do that, I have to put in a new clutch. That leads to my problem:

In the process of removing the transmission support member, I broke the bolt connecting it to the driver side control arm. Broke the head off the bolt. I put PB blaster on first and let it soak in, but, the head broke off anyhow. I need to get the bolt out and replace it. Looking for suggestions.

PS: I do have screw extractors, but I have never had much luck with that.

Going back to finish dropping the transaxle. I'll check back later.

Thanks!

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »

can you get anything on it to get it to turn?

try to heat it up some with a torch...that breaks it up some to allow it to break loose.

i have also cut a groove into the middle of the bolt before and used one og those gator tools that "can fit any bolt" as seen on tv things..walmart sells them. then you cut the groove into it. it works pretty good.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »

Hey Fly! Is there a stud still sticking out? If so then go to any well stocked sears tool dept. They'll have sets of extracters mean't for that, about twenty bucks. O ther-wise it's the drill and pray thing.  Gus

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

That has a captured nut welded into the frame rail and that bolt is long. You might have to cut open the underside of the frame rail to expose the nut and cut it out to get the frozen bolt out.

Clay

flytran

Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thought I was going to get to drop the tranny today, but, just did not get that far. I forgot about the starter, so I have to pull that tomorrow, then it should drop. Glad I have been keeping the floor jack under the tranny, hate to break a bolt there.

As to my bolt, of course, it broke off clean with the surface. I think I'll try a combination of suggestions. Heat and drill. Maybe since this is a large bolt, I can get the easy out to hold, keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll let you know where I get tomorrow evening.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »

You can try but remember.... that bolt broke because the threads are rusted solid in the captured nut and the threads that are through the nut are probably rusted worse.... and it wouldn't turn with your wrench on it...that is alot of torque.....more torque than an easyout can take. Not trying to be the bad guy here but been there.
Clay

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

FYI its also 1000x easier to do a clutch by removing the engine & tranny as a whole. I've had to do it way more than I care to think about, twice i dropped just the tranny never again.

The control arm bolt slips into the framerail. There is not much to the nut thats inside, infact they're sometimes problematic because they just spin when trying to torque them. You could probably use a round drift and just pound the shank of the bolt further into the framerail and then remove it through the access port. You'll need to find a suitable high grade replacement though.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Phillip

Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

I had the same problem. I cut out the frame rail like AZ said with a die grinder and replaced the nut and bolt. I welded the nut in place to keep it captured and I used anti seize on the bolt and threads to help keep them free in the future. I've had the trans out twice since and everything works like a charm. Pulling the engine out to F*** with the trans is a B****! I can yank the trans and replace it by myself in about a 12 pack!

flytran

Front Control Arm bolt
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

Got the Trans out, lots lighter than I thought. I figure I should replace the seals, and the circlips. anything else that should go back new in the tranny?

Have not made it to the control arm bolt. I'll try the "easy" stuff first, Been spraying it daily with liquid wrench, but, eventually, I'll have to drill and try the easy-out or heat. That fails, I go to the frame cut, but, I want to make that last. will see.

Thanks for all the guidance so far.