TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: problems changing rear struts  (Read 4699 times)

AlexV08

problems changing rear struts
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

hey everyone, im trying to change my rear struts and the bolt on the very bottom of it is stuck. it turns but it wont budge left or right and the bushing seems to move with it.

was wondering if you guys had any ideas of how to get it out.

thanks
alex

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »

I think the bolts rust/seize into the sleeve inside the bushing - is the nut off the backside? I forget how the stock rear is setup. You might need to get a punch or something and hammer the bolt out
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

AlexV08

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

yeah the nut is off. and we've tried hammering it. the bushing moved a bit but its all still stuck the bushing wont even come out all the way.

can i get a replacement bushing at autozone?

Phillip

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »

I had the same problem. had to cut the bolt off the strut with a die grinder and cut the bushing out. The bushing will be toast. I bought some Urethane pieces. I don't remember just where. But I'll try to find out. I do know they were for a later model 323 and I had to turn them down to fit the trailing arm. the bolt is seized in the metal tube.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »

You might be able to get the proper bushings from Pedder's. Check their website

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »

I had the EXACT same problem. Tried to cut both ends off the bolt and use a punch to knock it out to no avail. I ended up just replacing the rear trailing arm. Picked one up fairly cheap from the local yard. Took about 5 minutes to replace. I couldn't seem to find the proper bushing and destroyed the old bushing trying to free up the bolt. If you do find the right bushing, I would be interested to know where and how much.

Good luck!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

AlexV08

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

another thing is that its my daily driver. i wanna try to save the bushing just in case i cant find a replacement. i spoke to my coworkers brother in law and he said i could go to a dealership to get it. would they have it? i know its a pain to find anything for our cars.

im aiming for saturday to have the car towed home from my friends place so i can really work on it.

thanks for the advice guys

David Young

• 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:08:00 AM »

I know I saw new bushings somewhere...let me search today and see if I can remember.  I just changed out a rear trailing arm and was searching for bushings...I ended up using the one off of my parts car.

David
David A. Young

Colorado1

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »

Mine froze so I took the whole strut & trailing arm out. I used everything up to a huge construction bar smacking that bolt & nothing(replacing rotors & struts anyway). Went to the junk yard both were frozen on the R. one, one even cracked a Sears socket in half. Now the old strut and trailing arm are at an auto store so some guy can try to fab one up. I know he'll be useless just by talking to him. These things SUCK!!!!!

Colorado1

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

Things I hate to do, but when your drivers on jack stands made my own bushing. Picked up shock absorber HELP pack #31017. need to drill out one of the smaller ones that comes with so it's like the bigger one. Home Depot-1/4X6 steel pipe cut to just under 2 3/8"(inside of strut measurement), same thing with a 1/2 X4" to put inside since bolts aren't that thick. A grade 8 3 1/2" zinc plated bolt & nut. Put together with minute slop in-between pipes w/JB Weld and done. Physics say it should hold with no play & get it back off if ever needed to.

Colorado1

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »

A little slop is too much slop. My roomate is going to machine one that fits perfect. If there is a part that needs to be made for these cars badly with enough demand let me know and he can machine them(CNC/& whole machine shop). He has a boss &yet he runs all the machines-so really the whole shop. Any ideas just post. His idea. Rob

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »

Can you grab any pictures? I still have my FWD rearend sitting in the backyard, perhaps I can grab some measurements & see if there is universal size urethane bushing we can use.

Colorado1

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »

I just got the part back & will work on how to do these pictures again. When it's up you can see the machined part inside the bigger bolt, but I'd have him make the whole sleeve in one piece. I shaved the bushing a little since the pipe I used was 3/4". He made it out of a stainless rod. I'll get pics up in a bit.

Colorado1

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »

Hey Rocketman, emailed some pics. I hate dealing with this uploader stuff. Frustrates me too much. Had it down a long time ago. Well there's the idea anyway.