TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: handling problem  (Read 3461 times)

stinkweed

handling problem
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

I need some help guys.I did the VR4 brake upgrade a couple of months ago.I also replaced the lower ball joints and rebooted the axle shafts.I had a machine shop rebuild the hubs with all new wheel bearings and wheel studs.After finishing the project with all the new goodies,I immediately noticed that the car did not handle like it should.It used to stick hard in the curves and had a nice performance feel to it.Ever since the upgrade it is VERY unstable in the corners.In a turn the car raises up,floats,and pushes to the outside.It is also very sensitive to road changes,bumps etc..The car already had Tokico's/H&R's on it.I thought it might have been an alignment issue,so I waited until I did the manual rack & pinion swap before going to the alignment shop.The car has been aligned to specs and it still drives the same.I've double checked all area's of the suspension;sway bar links & bushings,lower control arms & bushings,strut mounts,tire pressures,wheel bearing play,..everything!It also has new tie rod ends that I installed during the rack swap.Anyone else ever have this problem doing the VR4? Are the Tokico's adjustable? Maybe I unlocked them into a softer rating while I was moving them back and forth during the axle change.Does the wider offset of the wheel from the new rotors affect anything?Could the sway bar have changed from the car being up on stands for a weekend? Sorry for this post being so long but I miss my sport handling suspension.Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.Thanks!  :cool:

need4speed428

handling problem
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »

So it just feels loose in turns? If anything the wider offset will make it more stable. My first guess would be wheels bearings but you said you checked that. Hard to say without seeing it.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100
1993 XR2 (gone but not forgotten)
2006 Yamaha FZ1  \\"[Smile]\\"  150bhp at only 439lbs!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
handling problem
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

I had a floaty feeling in my suspension, turned out one of my swaybar links was busted in half and disconnected. I replaced it and it handles much better.

Other than that I cant really say, suspension is not my area of expertise.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

stinkweed

handling problem
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »

I thought the same about the offset too.Wheel bearings don't have any slack in them and the sway bar links were fairly new.It does feel like a sway bar type of problem but I can't find anything wrong.It feels like I'm driving a Buick!(no offense to Buick owners So please don't ya'know....)I've even wondered if the body may have twisted on the jack stands or something.The only thing I didnt do myself was the wheel bearing part.Is it possible that the hub arms might be bent from the pressing of the bearings? They are made from cast steel but I would think the alignment would compensate for that if it were so.I don't know??????

need4speed428

handling problem
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »

Does it make any strange noises? Or is it just the feel? Is it actually leaning too much or is it just steering feel? Have you changed tires lately? If you put a higher profile tire on it that would make it feel sloshier. Or even just a different type of tire.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

stinkweed

handling problem
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »

No noises are audible,tires are the same(Falken 205/50/15)and it doesn't lean like it should.When going down the interstate on flat even pavement the car switches between pulling left and right.When going into a curve or going over a bridge/bump on the interstate the car's front end seems raise upward and push/float to the outside.The manaul rack just compounded the problem.Like you said earlier,it feels like the wheel bearings are too loose but I can't find any slack in them.Do you know if the tokico struts have adjustable settings?Thanks.  :cool:

need4speed428

handling problem
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:34:00 AM »

I don't think the tokico's are adjustable. I don't have them so I don't know for sure though.
It REALLY sounds like wheel bearings. Take a wheel off, take the brake caliper and rotor off and shake that hub and down and in and out and see if there is any play in it. If the shop that put them on installed them wrong they could go out really quickly.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

stinkweed

handling problem
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »

I didn't think about removing the brakes,I just checked it with the wheel on.I'll try to double check that area.If that's it I'll be pissed because I specifically ask him about the procedure and even took him the specs from the "techcapri" website.He was the only shop locally that would do it.Everyone else said they were afraid the hub arms would break or bend.I'll try again,thanks.  :cool:

Wirebrain

handling problem
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »

I had a simular problem with another car a Ford Festiva, When I replaced some front end parts including front wheel bearings. The Festiva uses a simular wheel bearing setup and It handled simularly till I had it lined up....maybe you should have that double checked.