TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Rag top install suggestions?  (Read 8403 times)

CapriProject

Rag top install suggestions?
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

I'm not at this stage yet (of course) but I was curious if there's some helpful hints as to repair/replace the rag top?
With the cables & various sections it looks like there should be some areas that would have some "learn from experience" tips I should know before messing with it.
The one that's on it now looks to me like it was put on wrong. It only has 2 very little 'cuts' in it (which could be patched) but the fit on the frame work over the windows is real sloppy.
Any helpful tips on this subject?
Thanks yet again...

CapriProject

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

Any one out there?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »

I've installed a top myself before, and it was absolutely miserable. And it didn't come out the best either. I've never taken any of my vehicles to a garage before, but I would probably bring it somewhere to have a top installed, I don't want to go through that again. Took me ~10hrs I think, so plan on having at least a day set aside for it.

Just my $.02
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriProject

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:39:00 AM »

I saw some "step-by-step" instructions on line & it looked like a REAL JOB. With so many steps that looked to me like a couple could screw-up the whole job, I thought maybe someone has found a better way.  Thanks for the reply.

By the way... I clicked on the "Donate" button & got "Fatal Failure".   Just thought you should know.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »

PAY FOR IT....

I called around to the mercury dealers and they all suggested the same shop in town. so that's where i too mine.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

mhowell

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

Have had to do it twice. Not that hard just take your time first step make sure you have it perfectly lined up with the rear metal retainer. That will dictate how the seams line up and overall fit of the top. Key auto top manufacturing co out of North Carolina have an excellent top.
My Rides
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 (Silver)
1992 Mercury Capri XR2 (Charcoal)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 (RED)

David Young

• 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:43:00 AM »

I have paid for 2 top installs.  The first one included the top, just after I purchased my XR2.  It cost me $525, including the top.  I just recently purchased a white genuine Ford Motor Company top from an older gentleman in PA.  I found a shop within an hour from Pittsbugh that works on a lot of higher end automobiles.  I supplied the top and brand new cables; and they installed it for just under $300.  So if anyone is close to Pittsburgh, or traveling close by and needs a top installed, I would highly recommend them.
David A. Young

BlewitUp

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »

Got mine from convertabletopguys.com

The plastic edge that folds under the bottom was pre-formed the wrong way...  It was a huge PITA!!!!  all-in-all it probably took me 6 hours or so, a drill press, 4 drill bits, lots of swearing, lots of talking to myself, lots of short little "breather walks" and some laughter from my girlfriend.  Got it on though.  Looks pretty good.  I would give myself an A-.  If I picked it up and didn't know what the installer had to do, I would probably not even notice the small screw-up's on it.  Looks pretty good.

The top is not a, "direct factory replacement".  They do some goofy fold and tuck crap by the windshield that looks sub-par compared to the original.  On the other hand, it still doesn't look bad.

Top was $300 shipped.  came with glue, new cables, and OK instructions if you read them like 436 times and installed these tops prior.  

OK, the instructions arn't really that bad.

billibarou

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

PAY FOR IT!  I just installed a new Electron top that I purchased from roo-sport.com and it was totally worth it.  I got the whole thing done for about $475 including the top and installation.  I had to look around to get it for that price because every shop wanted 8-900.  Try to find someone that does upholstery work on the side.

Anti

• 1989 turbo capri
Re: Rag top install suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »

Fitting a new top to the Capri is straight forward, it is time consuming. but easy. I have done 2 of them. One plastic and one fabric.  The trick is to make sure you do it outside in the sun.  Let the roof get some warmth on it and pull out all the wrinkles.  USE GOOD QUALITY GLUE< not cheap stuff.  The cables are easy to work with. Dont be scared of them they are simple. 

Take your time and any dool can install a new top. It is really easy. helps if you have someone else to help you pull the top straight before gluing.

Try it, you really cant damage it unless you are an idiot.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »

That's Kee Top.  They're a family company and have been in business a long time.  They always have a display at the Foodlion Auto Fair at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

http://www.keeautotop.com/convertibletops.html

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

wcdeangelo

• 92 capri xr2 jeep 95 cherokee
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »

after reading this page i'm glad i got a kee top. let you know how it comes out!!!

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:50:04 AM »

Let's face it, part if owning a Capri is we all like working on cars, lol. You'll never learn until you jump in there. It was my first and I get a B+.
The new top was a challenge but well worth it. It's only a chunk of fabric. It is forgiving as you can reglue a mess up. Start at the back and work your way forward. My difficult spots was gluing behind the windows and keeping it stretched tight. I redone that part and held on to it until the glue set well.

Use new cables as the nuts on the side ones will be frozen. Try to adjust them and they will break.
Use DAP contact cement from WallyWorld. That HH66 or whatever it is called everyone tries to sell is vinyl cement. The back of the top is not vinyl. That was one if the things the supplier told me.
Center the top when you start. Mine had chalk lines on it which made centering easy.

I can't remember without looking where I bought mine. It was on eBay. I'm thinking topsonline. Shipping and service was great. I love the top. The only thing I'm not happy with is if you go to TechCapri there is a TSB on the tops. It recommends trimming the rubber hold down pieces on the sides for a better waterproof fit. They talk a little bit like 3/4". I received my top not knowing but that rubber piece was already trimmed like 3". Way too much. It makes a difference on the body line. You can see the top pulled up where they trimmed it too much.
Maybe that should be a purchase question.

My next top will be canvas which is suppose to be harder to install. I ain't scared, lol.