TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Another AWD Possibility? Maybe?  (Read 4856 times)

BlewitUp

Another AWD Possibility? Maybe?
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

Ford Sierra 4X4.  Would probably work better for the Miata crowd but just wanted to get some opinions.

Yes, I know they weren't sold over here...  But what if I told you there was a site that sold these parts?

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

You'd have to make custom mounts, the sierra is just an XR4ti the capri's bigger rally bred cousin.  You'd be running it front to back, rather then transverse.

It might work, but you would run into clearance issues with the low hoodline on our cars, might have to mount the engine just about against the firewall, and I'd doubt you'd have room for the front diff then.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

RC: The XR4Ti is not even a cousin of the Capri. That's a Ford based chassis. The Capri is a Mazda.

Custom mounts would really be the least of your worries. You're forgetting a drive tunnel in the floor, no room for a rear diff, etc, etc...

BlewItUp: I think there are a lot of domestically available options here that might be a better choice for an AWD donor - a whole DSM drivetrain would work really well & offer a very potent powerplant with lots of bolt-on parts availble. (yes, Jamie - I said DSM!)

Check out this guy's conversion:  http://www.performancecar.co.nz/articles/mazda/heart-of-diamonds-mazda-323-gtx-familia-125
Keep in mind though, he was already AWD. Personally I think this would be one of the most practical & realistic routes for a reliable AWD conversion you could really beat on

I have been quite fond of the idea of a Subaru drivetrain too, the low center of gravity on the Boxer motor & symmetrical AWD is very appealing, and so is the 300hp from the STi engine     The less potent RS engines seem to be more readily available though, and don't demand quite the premium an STi dropout does...

Here's a Honda with a Subaru powerplant & drivetrain: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2763036
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »

I don't know why I didn't think DSM...  That should have been obvious.

Mitsu looks nice...

Interesting.

I have been looking at the SCCA website lately and would love to get into rally racing.  Thats why I like the idea of AWD.  Why not just buy an AWD car to start with?  what fun is that?  really I'm just day dreaming out loud.

Thanks guys,
-Ryan

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »

Yes they are dead sexy...

But I still think the SR20DET swap would be the best. There is a FWD version & here is the AWD version. Wheel base is very close.

Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible