TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Will a miata block work for xr2 parts?  (Read 3808 times)

need4speed428

Will a miata block work for xr2 parts?
« on: August 23, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

Is a B6 block the same as a B6t? I have a cracked cylinder wall and B6 engines are a lot easier to find then b6t's could I just swap out all the parts from my blown block into a B6? Thanks ~wayne
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100
1993 XR2 (gone but not forgotten)
2006 Yamaha FZ1  \\"[Smile]\\"  150bhp at only 439lbs!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

I am pretty sure a B6 block will work. I think thats the only universal thing in the B6 series of engines. Make sure you get the same year though
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Zachreligious

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:04:00 AM »

I know this a an old thread - but I wanted to comment on this for clarification. We put a Miata engine into our 24 Hours of Lemons XR2. Miata engines are easier to find and cheaper than Mercury Capri XR2 engines (even though they are the same thing!)

A 1.6 Miata engine will work in a Capri. You'll need the Capri oil pump (or modify the Miata pump for the dipstick tube if it's a different crank and you can't use the capri pump -- you'll also need the pickup tube from the capri pump for this). Everything else bolts off / on. There are threaded plugs where water / oil inlets and outlets differ for the different cars, but in the blocks I've seen, everything is already drilled and threaded for all applications.

Miata heads will work also - it's a matter of changing which water outlet is plugged - just remove the old freeze plug from one and insert a new one in the other. Obviously the turbo exhaust(?) cam has different timings, but the distributor fits into the same space as the cam sensor on the miatas. Everything is bolt off / on.