TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Frames...  (Read 2850 times)

Nate

• http://www.myspace.com/nate111285
Frames...
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

So, has anyone attempted or thought about converting the Capri to RWD? I realize the current frame is not built to handle a RWD platform, but maybe putting the Capri body on a different frame...perhaps a 323 GTX (since an AWD frame can easily handle RWD), Miata or an FB RX7 frame? Im unsure of dimensions, just thought I would throw it out there since Ive always felt the Capri should have been built as a rear wheel car.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Frames...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »

This has been my dream for some time...I have some posts that discuss it here.

Most of my real elaborate posts are over on the 323 performance forum.

In short though, its a super-drastic modification that would require cutting up every part of the chassis of the car.

Finding a donor GTX is damned near impossible, and cutting up a good one is sacrilege.

You'll need: Borrowed rear suspension from another car, cut and welded in

Borrowed front supspension/steering from another car, hybridized with stock setup, tuned to prevent bump-steer issues, cut & welded in

Drive tunnel either custom fabbed or borrow from a donor vehicle, cut & welded in

The engine managment all has to change, as well as the braking, steering, and pedal system

Not gunna be a cheap project.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Frames...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »

Hey Nate! Your idea is what made Hot Rodding that it is. Our '91-93 Capris look very simular to a certain year run of RX7's. Those are rear wheel drive. But Rocketman stated be prepared for a hell of a project. Gus.