TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: SAVED: ENGINE: CAS O-ring  (Read 5713 times)

mhack

• Old-Timer
    • http://akdusa.com/xr2
SAVED: ENGINE: CAS O-ring
« on: March 18, 2003, 06:36:00 AM »

CAS O-ring  
johnny bravo
Second gear
Member # 20095

posted 04. February 2003 20:57                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the O-ring for the crankshaft/camshaft position sensor an ordinary O-ring or is it designed specifically for the CAS? I'm not a big-time mechanic but I think I have the aptitude to change the seal provided, of course, I buy the right one.

Would appreciate any technical description/part number, where-to-buy info, etc. I'll use the step-by-step instructions in the .net garage along w/any other helpful info anyone wants to offer.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 92 | From: houston, tx, '93 LE (#1143) 100% stock...for now | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

Jim M
Third gear
Member # 14623

posted 04. February 2003 21:01                          
Don't have specs size in front of me, but take old one to Auto Zone, etc. It's a standerd size and WAY WAY cheaper then Mazda Dealer. Jim
Posts: 765 | From: Southington,CT 1990 Classic Red What else is there?HDM2DD www.nutmegmiata.org | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

Skyler (Austin, Texas)
Second gear
Member # 18190

posted 04. February 2003 21:02                    
I just replaced mine 10 minutes ago. I got it as part of the timing belt kit from flyin miata.

I'm glad I did it. It was surprisingly simple, and the old o-ring had become a hard plastic! The new o-ring is pliable as you would expect.

Jim M
Third gear
Member # 14623

posted 04. February 2003 21:05                          
BTW save yourself some pain get the o-ring and a valve cover gasket, better too do both at once and much easer to get the CAS lined up. Jim
Posts: 765 | From: Southington,CT 1990 Classic Red What else is there?HDM2DD www.nutmegmiata.org | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

Ed_S (MiataMeister)
Member # 12151

posted 04. February 2003 21:17                          
This was discuss ad naseum recently.

The O-Ring is nothing special, and can be had at most auto parts stores for about 80 cents or so. I just saved myself some time and bought the 382 O-Ring kit from Harbor Freight - I got 10 CAS O-rings and 372 O-ring I have to figure out what to do with.  It's a nitrile 1 1/2"-1 3/4" X 1/8" O-ring and pretty standard.

If you read this article:

http://www.miataforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=013302

you will have more information on the CAS O-ring than any sane person could possibly want.
Posts: 3065 | From: Hazel Green, Al - 92B White (AKA Kimba), custom grill/lights, M2 top, more. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged |  

Jim M
Third gear
Member # 14623

posted 04. February 2003 21:19                          
Thanks Ed. Just the post I was looking for. Jim

johnny bravo
Second gear
Member # 20095

posted 05. February 2003 16:10                        
You guys are awesome. Thanks, Ed, for adding the link. I did a search and got bleary-eyed before coming to the one you added.  
Posts: 92 | From: houston, tx, '93 LE (#1143) 100% stock...for now | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

spike
Fourth gear
Member # 10457

posted 05. February 2003 16:20                        
Even the guys at AutoZone make a hefty profit at $0.50/each. There's plenty of overhead built into that $8.00 number at the Mazda shop...

Just a recap from the other post:

I measured my dealer-supplied o-ring with my trusty Mitutoyo 500-196, and got the following readings:
Cross section - 0.136"
ID - 1.480"

Our favorite o-ring sizing chart lists the '-222' size as follows:
Cross section - 0.139"±0.004"
ID - 1.484"±0.015"

Next time your o-ring goes out, call any industrial supply store and ask for a 'dash 222' and you'll be in good shape. Just be sure to get the right material: Either Buna-N/nitrile, Viton or Viton EPT, in order from adequate to best and in order from least to most $. Say 'No!' to neoprene. <TM>

[ 05. February 2003, 16:26: Message edited by: spike ]
Posts: 1477 | From: Wilmington, NC---Smurf Blue '90 B-pkg, trusty MCA Shift Knob, K&N Filtercharger | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged |  

michcarr
Second gear
Member # 7688

posted 05. February 2003 19:43                        
Part number at Schucks and Autozone is 64222.

MC
Posts: 242 | From: Portland, OR 95' Black on Black | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged |  

Skyler (Austin, Texas)
Second gear
Member # 18190

posted 05. February 2003 22:25                    
Okay, but how do you get that cursed CAS back on?

I've been at it for two hours now. I've moved the dogs through 360 degrees of rotations in the smallest increments I could but it won't go on. I've cleaned everything to as spotless as I can get it, and it goes on up to the dogs very cleanly.

Am I missing something? Surely the mazda guys must have some trick because they can't afford to waste two hours like I have!

michcarr
Second gear
Member # 7688

posted 06. February 2003 01:33                        
I had the same issue when I did mine. All I can say is go sit down take about a 30-45 minute break.. then try it again. It helps a lot if you coat the CAS with some oil, to make it slide in and out easier. What I did was use a mirror to look behind and lined up the "dogs" as you call them. I slid the CAS in gently and see if I could match it up.. if no go, I slid it back up and rotated ever so slightly till it finally went in. My first try I was at it for about 2 hours too. After I sat down and took a break.. I got it after 10 minutes. See what a little R&R can do. Hmmmm.. maybe I can convince my employer of that one.  

MC
Posts: 242 | From: Portland, OR 95' Black on Black | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged |  

Wuey
First gear
Member # 16415

posted 06. February 2003 07:35                        
Gentlemen, please look at the dogs CAREFULLY. On casual glance they look identical but if you look closer, they are different! Yes, different in shape and size.

I disoriented the dogs when I struggled to remove the CAS in my RHD '90. The 2 dogs appeared to be almost identical and I started to curse and freak having them rotated in every direction.  Then I looked a little closer and using a steel rule, one was about 1mm longer than the other and I think the longer one had a tiny bevel edge for offset seating. But with such small differences how was I to determine which slot within the CAM assembly to line up the minutely bevelled dog?  I scratched my head and hollered to the mrs to get me her small makeup mirror. Using the mirror and a torch light, I could see the cylindrical receptable inside the engine with a slightly raised portion next to one of the dog slots. Ah, that was the actual reference point for me to position the dogs. Mazda engineers had figured out the perfect design for backyard mechanic like me. In short, even if you can't see the differences but with the aid of a mirror, if the first try doesn't home in the CAS, withdraw it and turn the dogs 180 degrees, wiggle and jiggle a bit and Bob's your uncle!  
Posts: 64 | From: Melbourne, Australia '90 red | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

khorton21
Second gear
Member # 7639

posted 06. February 2003 15:49                        
I had the same trouble getting mine in on a '94. Luckily I had the cam cover off doing a timing belt. That made the difference.
Get the CAS mostly lined up, then while standing at the front of the car, lean over and press in with both hands in order to get it in straight. A little wiggling may help also but it is a close fit piece and must go in absolutely straight. The reason you need to stand at the front is so that you can lean down and look into the cavity at the back of the cam and see the lugs fit into the slots. Then press hard.
Posts: 219 | From: Goleta, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged |  

Rud
Second gear
Member # 18478

posted 06. February 2003 15:59                          
I just did this and it took a pretty decent shove to get the CAS to click back into its position.

Lining up the dogs was easy with the valve cover off, as previously stated.  
Posts: 271 | From: Davis, CA, USA | 92 Crystal White 'B' | 84 RX-7 GSL-SE | 00 Protege | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

Fletcher
Overdrive
Member # 2212

posted 06. February 2003 16:38                          
The fact that the tangs, dogs, or whatever you want to call them are slightly different lengths has got nothing to do with it....

Its the fact that they do not exactly bisect the shaft, but are off-centre, that causes them not to mate up with the slot when the orientation is out 180 degrees...

And as has been posted a zillion times before... its real easy to line them up with the valve-cover removed...

Fletch.
Posts: 5036 | From: New Zealand, Red '90, FM brace, K&N/custom intake, Link ECU, JR headers + Catback (+sways), Port/Polish/CR raised Head, Konis, RE-711 tires. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged |  

Wuey
First gear
Member # 16415

posted 07. February 2003 21:44                        
Removing the CAM cover was my last resort as it was oil tight. Reassembling without using a new gasket and fresh sealant might not guarantee oil tightness.  
Posts: 64 | From: Melbourne, Australia '90 red | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged |  

munque
Third gear
Member # 17853

posted 07. February 2003 21:52                        
My problem was never being 180 degrees off, as I had marked it when it came out. The problem was being just a few degrees off and the CAS just wouldn't seat, no matter how much I turned it in small increments.

Today, I think the tangs on the CAS must have grabbed onto some oil on the back of the camshaft and weren't turning as I rotated the CAS body. Then, I finally pulled the valve cover and it went in easy.
1991 XR2 Viper Yellow/Red[/URL]- 164K - PARTING OUT! IM ME!
0-60 7.65 sec (RON 94, 55F, 2400RPM, stock 185mm 14\\")
  • Cone Air Filter (3\\" tube)
  • Custom Air Filter/ Coil bracket
  • Front Mount Coolant res. tank (FMCRT)
  • new painted valve cover and gasket