TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aero Kit  (Read 7736 times)

Richter12x2

Aero Kit
« on: October 09, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »

I've been trying to figure out what it would take to make a 92 Eclipse ground effects kit work for the 92 Capri - The numbers aren't too far off, so it may be possible to get it on there with minimal modification, and I think it would look much better than stock, but $400 is an expensive mistake.  However, if it works, that's a really nice body kit for $400 that you can get anywhere.
When I get ready to move on it, I'm going to contact a couple of dealers and see if they'll be willing to discount the kit, since it could open up a new market for them.

Here's the numbers as per Carpoint

Capri       Eclipse      CRX
Wheelbase        94.7          97.2       90.6
Track Front      54.9          57.7       57.1
Track Rear       56            57.1       57.3
Length           166.1         172.8      148.5
Width            64.6          66.7       65.9
Height           50.2          51.4       50.1

The CRX is close, too, but the length is pretty far off - you can ALWAYS cut something shorter, but you can't create length.

Just interested to hear some thoughts and "things to consider"

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
    • http://teamcapri.com
Aero Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 07:35:00 AM »

You seem to really like the eclipse, why didnt you buy one of those cars?
Anthony
Cadillac STS 05 Silver Metallic V8-Northstar
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust
-Phillips 6,000K HID Low Beams
-Phillips 6,000K HID Fog Lights
-Factory upgrade radio to 8\\" touch screen navi with 6 disc dvd changer.

http://teamcapri.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">

Richter12x2

Aero Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 09:15:00 AM »

Oh God, here we go again - ask a simple question, get a stupid reply that has nothing to do with the topic.

Matter of point I don't like the Eclipse that much, but it's another FWD car, and the parts for it are cheap and easy to find.  And yes, I've heard Zx2's argument that "If you want to put cheap parts in your car..." etc, etc, but you know what?  You have no room to talk when the Capri came with a damn Mazda engine, when Mazda is arguably the worst car company ever to come out of Japan (although I have much respect for the RX-7.)  
First, I'll tackle that piece of crap B series Mazda engine.  (Although I love the Capri)
My first car was a Mazda B2200 pickup - yes, a B series 2.2L engine - it was 9 years old when I got it in 1996 for $3200, and the engine in it blew 3 times in the year that I had it, no, I didn't race it, and the top speed of the truck was 80 mph.  I ended up parking it, buying a motorcycle and selling the truck a year later for $200.  But man, it looked nice.  
I wanted a Capri from the first time I saw one, but it is NO lie for me to say that if I knew it had a Mazda engine in it, I wouldn't have touched it.  Even though I love the '93 RX-7, I'm scared as hell to buy one because it's a Mazda.  So excuse the hell out of me for wanting to put an engine with another 100 hp STOCK in a car that's destined to have parts troubles and even it's own manufacturer refuses to acknowledge that it exists.  I don't WANT a f***ing Eclipse, I want a 300hp Capri for under 3k, and it's very possible with that engine.

I also don't want to spend $300 in shipping ALONE to bring a new bumper cover over from Australia because that's the only place that knows what a Capri is and cared enough to make 2 parts for it, when I can buy a whole set of Eclipse ground effects that will work for $400 at my local speed shop.  

I've been a member of this board for about a month now, maybe a little longer, and so far, all I've seen is a bunch of people who write checks every time there's an oil leak.  I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I can't afford to take my car to the shop and write a $300 check every time the door handle cracks off or the convertible top latch breaks.  Since I actually know what I'm doing, and CAN work on the car myself, that works out, though.  

I quit going to other sites because whenever someone would ask a question, they wouldn't get an intelligent answer, but they'd get something like "Why the hell would you want to do that?"
Well, you know what?  I don't feel the NEED to explain myself to you. If you're content tooling around with 100 hp in your car, or 132 if you're lucky, and spending upwards of $3000 to get that extra 12 hp out of it so that you can have a marvelous 172 hp Capri after years of work and dozens of checks written to your local car mechanic who only knows it's a Mercury Capri because you haven't pulled the labels off the back yet, then more power to you.  If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd sit back and let the mechanically inclined people like myself experiment around with new combinations so that instead of spending $1200 on a body kit from Australia that looks JUST like a Capri, only an inch lower, you can buy one down the street for $400 that will make your car into something that'll actually turn heads instead of just make people shake them.  

So, in closing, I don't care if you ARE the webmaster, if you're not going to stay on topic and say something useful then you can just read my glorious prose from your mahogany desk in your ivory tower behind your fat checkbook.  If you're going to attack my views instead of offering some kind of constructive advice, then I don't care what you have to say.  It sure doesn't take much to sit there and say "Why do that?" and "It can't be done" does it?  It takes a lot more to get out there and try.  I just hope the view down from your damn high horse doesn't scare you.  

Josh C
-----------------------------------------------
If opinions are like a$$holes, then you must be an opinion.
-----------------------------------------------
PS, I like your spoiler, was that made for a Capri?

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
Aero Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »

First off, the reason im askin i remember in another post you refered to the eclipse before. If your trying out front bumpers your better bet is the 92-95 civic. Some people do have a love for a car that they will turn another car into it. I really dont know why you went off like that, with a simple question. Ill let the rest be, cause its not worth make more out of that argument. I was hoping you would have either said yes i like the car, or no I just like the body kits made for the car. I know not everyone can afford to fix their cars with giving money to a mechanic alone, reason people come here and other forums looking for help. I never stated that its a must, though I do recommend that professional help should be sought, but if you know what your doing then who know as well when you need proffessional help then.
Anthony
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
Aero Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »

Forgot the last question you asked. Yes it is a spoiler for the capri, but you must import it from down under. After the creation of this spoiler many popular cars including the NSX used this design to produce their spoiler from.
Anthony
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust

Richter12x2

Aero Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm sorry I went a little overboard on that - but if you only knew how often I'll mention I'm doing something and someone goes "Why would you want to do that?"  Like I have a 97 Thunderbird v6, and I wanted more horsepower out of it, so I'm looking at putting a 302 in it - and everyone says, "Why would you do that, why don't you just go get a 80's Mustang?" Well, because I don't WANT an 80's Mustang, I don't particularly like the way they look, there are FAR too many of them, and everyone who sees one knows what engine it has.  I'm looking to make the Thunderbird the way it SHOULD have been made it the first place.  Like the Capri, we'll make a hot looking little sports car, and give it a lawnmower engine.  When I look at changing stuff for it, I look to the Eclipse because I did some research on the Galant, and I know what the engine is capable of, what it takes to swap it, and how little it costs.  When I think of body parts, I look to the Eclipse because the 90-94 Eclipse looks a whole lot LIKE the Capri, along the major body lines, and there's a buttload of aftermarket support for it.
Yeah, I did post a thread about the engine swap, and now that I got a good answer about what it'll take to do it, I probably WILL put a 4g20t in the Capri with a 10g Turbo setup that puts out around 300 hp.  But after the Thunderbird gets a carbureted 302.  
After having a Beretta and wanting to fix it up and people say "Why don't you just get a Camaro" and having a Thunderbird and people say "Why don't you just get a Mustang" and now I've got the Capri and it's "Why don't you just get an Eclipse?"  I like the way the Capri looks, but when the hamster dies, I'm probably putting in a gerbil instead of another hamster, and in the meantime, like the rest of you with your 94 bumper covers and $1500 interiors (probably a conservative guess, right Bill?) I'm trying to bring the car into the 21st Century, and keep it running, fast and well, until I die.

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
Aero Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »

Its cool. If you need to spot or release heat just email me and will go that route. Aslong as your cool I'm cool, its all good. One thing to notice, when making front bumpers and rear the easiest aproach is to cut the bumper about the bumper section leaving the top section that connects to the car. Then attachin the ground effect lower section after cutting off its upper section and mounting the two pieces together. Problem is that the capri bumper is plastic and plastic to plastic is to fragil and may not be able to do as a daily drive. A model may be best bet. Inless you get a fiberglass bumper then you can cut model then refiber areas you cut and cover holes then sand and primer.
Anthony
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust

Razzamatazzboca

• Old-Timer
    • http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RazzamatzzCapris/
Aero Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 03:18:00 PM »

Hey Josh
Not for nothing but that was a snippy little post.
Why are you mad at the world?
Do what you want to do, when you want to do it.

It seems to me like you were taking a potshot at me with your "checkbook" remark.
I dont need to explain myself to you or anyone here but let me shed some light for ya.

For the last 11 years I owned my own retail store in boca raton.
The last few years buz was terrible, I didn't take a paycheck for the last 18 months.
Well they started tearing down my shopping center to rebuild it so I lost everything, every friggin thing I owned.

I was rear ended in black beauty, every day I have back pain.
I used the money from the settlement to buy the car I turned into the red rocket, and the teal car for my wife.
$5000 for a lifetime of pain.

I now have a job where I get a real paycheck, a nice paycheck, even though I work 6 days, 70 hours per week. I have neither the time nor the knowledge to work mechanically on my capri.
When something NEEDS to be done, or when there is something I WANT done, I go out and have it done.
I'm not gonna put some bs velour car cover seats on them that cost $39, if it needs a paint job, so be it.
If it needs new brakes, so be it.
If I want to pinstripe my butthole, so be it.
But it will be done and done right, something I cannot mechanically do.

I'm not some snot nosed punk assed 20 year old kid.
Everything I got I earned.

Ya wanna know why I left the other sites?
Well there seems to be an abundance of punk assed know it alls (I'm not refering to you) who seem to always be posting about what they are gonna do to their cars, visit the site 3 months later and they are still talking about doing the same mods.
Six months later it's still all BS talk about what they are gonna do.

Me personally, I make my capris to be cosmetically perfect and mechanically sound.
That's all I want from em, no body effects, no ground lights, no 2000 watt stereo playin hip hop music.
I want em to look like they just came out of the showroom, nothing more.

So it's different strokes for different folks.
All Hail King William, King of all Capridom, Master of Mopars

Home of the 1994 Triplets, the FINEST individually owned collection of Capris on the planet.
94 NA \\"Black Beauty\\"
94 NA \\"The Red Rocket\\"
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye, \\"Plum Crazy Purple\\"
1977 Chrysler Cordoba,blue starlight metallic

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2926605/1\\" target=\\"_blank\\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2926605/1

Paul G.

Aero Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 03:58:00 PM »

Josh,

Quick question...Why not just go to the Razzi ground effects site and buy a Razzi kit? They still make them and they sell direct from their site for @$525. shipped. You can also buy the pieces seperately. Not many cars have the Razzi kit on them, but their are a few. My first '91 I own(why I ever sold it I don't know,it was perfect!) had a Razzi kit and it looked damn good. People stared and asked what kind of car it was. It would be neat to put a combat front end on the capri. I saw a pic of a orange capri with a modified combat front end. Don't know how it was done or what it originally came off of. But different strokes for each of us. If you want to experiment, I say Go for it!! See if it can be done and then tell the rest of us. For now all I can do is tinker with the stock car little by little when I can with what I can afford. That just my little two cents on the subject.  
Paul G.
92 Mercury Capri (Red - N/A): SOLD
1963 VW Bug Lowrider

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Aero Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 10:13:00 PM »

Josh-
Just for referance purposes, if you go here: http://photos.yahoo.com/magnumsdaddy
and go to the 91 N/A file, you will see a Capri with the full Razzi kit.  It's nice, and much differant than any other Capri around here.  But, I'm looking for something a little more "ricey", I think. Let me know how the Eclipse experiment works out, as there plenty of kits for that car, to pick from!

-----Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

pokmnster

Aero Kit
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 04:34:00 AM »

Oh I so agree with Bill about the other forums.heres some cars I have been eye balling for ground effects swapping.Mazda mx3, miata and the nissan nx2000.there was a nissan abandoned in the parking lot a work with factory side skirts that were an almost perfect match but then it got towed. I agree this is my frankenstein car I do all my own work and fabrications thats what makes it fun. I wouldnt dare mess with my other cars in this manner.

Richter12x2

Aero Kit
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2003, 12:04:00 PM »

Nah Bill, that wasn't really a shot at you, and I worried that when I wrote it I might have hurt your feelings.  Not that it explains everything, but I had a migraine headache yesterday so I wasn't in the mood for anything even resembling BS - and when Tony said what he said, he apparently wasn't attempting to give me $#!+, but it looked like he was, so I fired off.  

Believe me, I only wish I had the money to spend on my cars that some of you guys do, but I agree with you about the 20 year old snotnoses that had their parents give them everything, I ran away from home when I was 16, and the only thing I took was an 87 Mazda pickup that I bought for $3500, and it broke down on me just after I got across the state line, so I sold it for $200 so that I could keep going a little farther, which is why I have a deep routed, inexorcisable hatred toward the B series engines.  Now I'm 23, I just bought my own house in the upscale suburbs of Dallas, and paid cash for my second car (the Capri) - and the Thunderbird is paid off.  Anyway, my biography in a nutshell.  Point is, I wish I DID have the money to spend to make the car like I want it, but not only do I not like spending money, I also don't like relying on people (byproduct of my childhood, I guess.)  So I didn't have parents to do everything for me like these kids today.  
But no, Bill, I meant no offense to you, I know you work hard for the money that you spend on the Capris, but after coming from the Thunderbird website (TCCoA), where there are hundreds of people who do their own work, it's cultureshock to come here to the Capri site, and instead of reading "I just mounted a 5.4 Triton in my Thunderbird, it took 10 days, but I got it done for $2000" I come here and read "I just paid a guy $5000 to put a new turbo on my Capri, so now I get 15 more hp!" it's a whole new thing.

Although, you posting pictures of your BEAUTIFUL professionally done white interior 2 days after I began handstitching my own probably triggered some deep-rooted animosity.    

But no hard feelings, just remember my 2 week long project to handstitch vinyl seats if the time ever comes when you part out one of your custom professional interiors - I'm not picky, I'd take any one of them.

But, when I'm DONE with my interior, weeks from now, it will have only cost me $35 in vinyl, thread, and leather needles.  And about 20 hours of my life.

Richter12x2

Aero Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by CapriTypeR:
Josh-
Just for referance purposes, if you go here:  http://photos.yahoo.com/magnumsdaddy
and go to the 91 N/A file, you will see a Capri with the full Razzi kit.  It's nice, and much differant than any other Capri around here.  But, I'm looking for something a little more "ricey", I think. Let me know how the Eclipse experiment works out, as there plenty of kits for that car, to pick from!
-----Russ
Yeah, I've seen the Razzi kit, and it's nice, but it doesn't look different enough to suit my tastes, you know?  I don't want to spend the huge amount of money to buy, and the pain to install and paint a kit just so it'll look subtly different, I'm with you on that.  

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.  

And I don't think it would be too hard - they sell this kit all day long for $380 on e-bay, too.

Razzamatazzboca

• Old-Timer
    • http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RazzamatzzCapris/
Aero Kit
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2003, 05:06:00 PM »

OK Josh
U b cool w/me.

BTW, my wife is from texas, and she lived in big D for a while.
Lots a long legged lovelies.

And, I envy you able to do your own work.
Believe me when I tell you this- I dont like spending money on the capris either.
If, god forbid, somethin happens- the ins co will give me 3G's for it- no where near what I put into them, so where's the justice???
All Hail King William, King of all Capridom, Master of Mopars

Home of the 1994 Triplets, the FINEST individually owned collection of Capris on the planet.
94 NA \\"Black Beauty\\"
94 NA \\"The Red Rocket\\"
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye, \\"Plum Crazy Purple\\"
1977 Chrysler Cordoba,blue starlight metallic

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2926605/1\\" target=\\"_blank\\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2926605/1

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
Aero Kit
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »

Same here. It takes me time and build up of cash to be able for me to buy stuff. I am afraid one day something will happen and then my car will be no more and all I put into it will be gone. I also feel if I dont have fun with it ill never have fun and for the most shouldnt own it. Some of the stuff on my car are custom parts. Others are either donated parts from companies to help me or is price well below stock price for the companies that make them too. I have lucked out so far on what I have, I have gotten for almost a steal. I do have plans to happen during the winter to the interior and other performance parts for her. I'll update once done. Still wish I have a gauge piller for the capri.
Anthony
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust

Pages: [1] 2