TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Swap to an Automatic??  (Read 11745 times)

CapriProject

Swap to an Automatic??
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

Hi,  I really new to the FWD Capri. I just bought a (non-running) 1991 Capri project car this past Tuesday. I wanted it for a hobby project because I really like the over all looks, hide-a-way top & other points. The first thing I'd like to change is the trans. It has the 5-speed & I'd like to swap it over to an automatic. What are the other 'doner car' options that I can use for the trans? Does the ECM have to be changed too? Has anyone here done this swap before?   Thanks for any help.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

ECU for sure and then you need to figure out the wiring. I think the axle are different too.

Why go with the AT..the NA 5 speed is slow, i could not imagine what it would be like in an auto

do a turbo swap, same amount of work basically and much better result
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

CapriProject

Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »

I understand the "why auto" when it comes to the little car's performance. My project involves keeping the 'passenger compartment' pretty stock but totally modifing the rest. The end result will have the FWD set-up as a mid-engine RWD set-up. Shifting the standard trans in that position would be very hard to do - thus the auto.
My end result isn't to "restore" this Capri but to incorporate the parts I really like into a very different vehicle. As you can tell, it isn't a "bolt-on" project.
If you know of another way to shift the standard trans with it being behind both the driver & the engine... Please let me know because that's the only reason I'm looking into an auto trans swap.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »

Everyone swaps from auto to 5spd... i've never seen it done the other way around.

Can I ask the reason for wanting to go to a/t?

Swapping would be an extremely involved process.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »

The rod linkage sucks yes, but it can be re-worked for an MR setup, I've looked into it and will be doing it at some point in the near future.

Look into some of the MR setups a couple of the Honda folk have pulled off...its definately possible

CapriProject

Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »

Unless there's a hydraulic or cable way to shift the 5-speed trans, I'm pretty much stuck with an auto trans. The stock mechanical shifter would be where the rear bumper is once the engine/trans is mover to the RWD position.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »

The back of the trans itself will be about 10" behind the centerline of the wheels, which leaves plenty of room. You will need to cut / modify / remove the vert top storage though.

You will need to weld new linkage, offset a bit, but not impossible. Just run the bars toward the rear instead of toward the front. The actions of the shifter will be kept the same, you just need to route the linkage around the trans.

I'm playing with the idea of using a cheap junkyard cable shifter and making up some levers to form a quadrant box on the back of the trans. Seems like the easiest route at the moment.

CapriProject

Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

Again I've only had this car since Tuesday & have not gotten started on it so I'm sure you know the stock set-up much better than me & once I jack-up the car to get 'hands-on' it will make better sense to me.   Right now (from pictures) the shifter rod comes straight back from the trans. The shift movement 'forward & back' as well as rotating for going through the 'neutral gate' would have to be done in reverse if the driver was sitting in front of the engine/trans instead of behind it. The engine would now be located between the driver & the trans so I'm having difficulty envisioning a straight 'line-of-site' route for the shift rod to take.
Again, I'll probably be able to speak more clearly once I crawl under the car. I've fabricated a few custom vehicles as a "shade-tree" mechanic but I've never messed with a FWD set-up... I'm a little out of my comfort zone right now but that makes it more of a new hobby.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »

the trans will be behind you yes but you will not be changing the orientation of it. The shift rod will have identical movements, the trans is just behind you. The shift pattern remains the same, nothing has to be reversed.

There is only one moving rod in the linkage, the other is a stabilizer bar. The shifter twists the rod via a Tee style connection. It also moves back/forth.

You will need to fabricate a bar from the stock shifter location, to the back of the trans where it will sit once relocated. I planned on using the exhaust cut out in the oil pan to run the linkage. All you need is a minor twist L/R & push/pull action. Have a good look once you get under the car

CapriProject

Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »

Much thanks... I'll be pushing the car into my shop tomorrow. Depending how long it takes me to re-arrange my junk & make the room...I'll try to check it out better.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »

In the DSM world they got stick to auto because the auto tranny holds up better. other then that..ya i never seen it go that way.

i dont think this auto tranny would hold crap for power
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

CapriProject

Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:00 AM »

"DSM"?  I must admit I don't know what that's short for.  As far as this project putting out a ton of 'performance' that the auto couldn't handle... that's not my objective. The end result will be a fun little cruiser not a street rocket. Nothing wrong with a street rocket just not the plans for this project.

bhazard

Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »

DSM is what is in his sig.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »

DSM = Diamond Star Motors, otherwise know as Mitsubishi
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

drbob

• Old-Timer
Swap to an Automatic??
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »

I know this is probably a dumb idea, but have you ever seen the shift mechanism on the "Spyker"?  www.spykercars.com  Seems like an interesting way to move a shift lever forward of trans in rear engined car.
Mid-America Capri Gathering Founder/Team Capri Moderator
--------------------------

1994 Mercury Capri made in AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN Cattle dog/brittney mix
AUSTRALIAN Shepherd
Is anyone else sensing a pattern?
Pages: [1] 2 3