TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Cams, cam gear, intake manifolds  (Read 3495 times)

Arizona Desert Dog

• http://none
Cams, cam gear, intake manifolds
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »

Does anyone have any good cam gears laying around that they would be willing to sell?  I am looking at performance upgrade possibilities for my 1994 n/a and want to see about having stock cam gears milled for +/- degree adjustment of the cam timing.  I am also looking for aftermarket cams, but if someone had decent stock cores (both intake and exhaust), I would be interested in those to have welded and reground to create a custom grind.  In addition, I am looking for a spare n/a intake manifold to work on porting along with head porting, since getting more air/fuel into the motor is the only way I'm going to wring more ponies out of the non-turbo powerplant.  Last but not least, does anyone know of a header that will bolt up to our motors?  Don't care if it is emissions legal or not as my county in Arizona does not have emissions.  Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

You can buy adjustable cam gears for the Mazda Miata, they are the same as ours. I think there are a few companies that make them.

Corksport sells WEB Cams, they have a variety of specs to choose from, or you can have custom sets ground. I think they run $450 or so.

All the intake manifolds are the same on the capri, turbo/nonturbo etc. Honestly if you are going for N/A I'd only portmatch the ports on the gasket and the head, and knifedge the dividers. That'll maximize runner velocity, giving you better torque which is what you want. Maybe look into a slightly larger throttlebody and a good solid intake system. Make sure you're tuned up well and run some Seafoam through the intake manifold to clean the runners and the tops of the valves.

I'm not sure on the N/A header, I know there was a company that made and sold them on eBay (they were painted/coated blue IIRC) but they have not appeared on there for some time, I dont think they are being made anymore. If you cant find anything, grab a Honda. I forget which engine it is, but its the very common one...lol sorry if its a bit vague I can get more details if you need. The ports match up almost identically, it just needs re-drilling of some of the bolt holes. Under engine clearance should not be an issue.

Hope this helps.
-Rocketman
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Arizona Desert Dog

• http://none
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »

Thanks much for the information.  I am already working on the higher flow intake, just need to have someone bend me up a metal air tube to replace the low-flow plastic bellows and runner arrangement.  Yes, by porting I essentially meant just cleaning/matching/blending and not so much enlarging as with stock valve size that would not help airflow.  If you could get me a more specific direction on the Honda motor that the header interchanges from (I'm guessing Civic) that would be great.  I saw the cams on Cork but wasn't sure (I have not been in contact with them yet) if they were just selling grinds for turbos which would, of course, be different than non-turbo cams (most notably in lobe centers, since the turbo can do with more overlap).  Again, thanks for the help.  I am an old hand at performance upgrades, but this is my first Capri.  By the way, you wouldn't know of anyone with a used set of Clubsprint bumper covers that would part with them do you?  Not likely, I realize.

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »

88 mazda 323gt camgears
I ported the intake with a long bullit carbide bit.. and just touched up the head to match the gasket..i also took the throttle body, and turbo coldside, and ran a caliper brake cylinder hone
through both (after disassembling them)to clean any casting or boring marks from mazda.
its amazing how much smoother you can make your inducer and exducer on the vj-11 coldside housing
all the step marks where it had been bored are all smooth gradual single slopes.

all together now, flowing good

220hp@18psi

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 03:45:00 AM »

where in AZ are you at?

i am in Phoenix....
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)