TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Need ECM for Capri Turbo  (Read 3077 times)

racerk3

Need ECM for Capri Turbo
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »

It's the black box next to the passenger side strut tower.  Does anybody have one for sale?

Macau_Capri

• http://members.cardomain.com/lude_xtreme
Need ECM for Capri Turbo
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »

I dont have a spare one, but just to clarify this, that box is the Knock control box, not the ECM.
Check my ride and swap history at:
  http://members.cardomain.com/lude_xtreme\\" target=\\"_blank\\">http://members.cardomain.com/lude_xtreme

racerk3

Need ECM for Capri Turbo
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

Well, then I guess i'm not sure what I need.  I went on a trip this weekend, and lost spark 700 miles from home.  Under exreme duress, I got my dad to come tow me home on a dolly.  I'm already $350 in the hole just getting the car home.  I've replaced everything in the distributor.  Pickup coil, module, cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil are all new.  I checked the wires that fed the coil.  One is hot, and the other is stone dead.  I figure that the ECM has expired, but I don't know for sure.  Maybe it's the knock box.  Where is the ECM?  There are two boxes under the dash.  One is as big as a radio, and from the wire colors, I think it runs the fuel injection.  The other is right behind the ashtray, and I don't know what that does.  Does anyone have access to the powertrain control/emissions testing manual section 8B that diagnoses ignition problems?

PrinceChuck

Need ECM for Capri Turbo
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 07:08:00 AM »

There's an 91 xr2 in a chicago heights junk yard that has a working ecu and they don't charge much. The engine seized so I believe the ecu is working.  As far as why you don't have any spark, I've done some troubleshooting on my 2 and I have the books that you'd need.  If you want some help,  email me  princechuck@hotmail.com

JJ

Need ECM for Capri Turbo
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

dude that sucks. well $1200 later my problem is solved...

I had the same problem. was turning over but not starting. I thought I had spark (my $5 spark tester said so...) but the dealer said I didn't, and there was a computer code pointing to a distributor part.  got a rebuilt dist. and it still didn't work. they called ford hotline, traced a bunch of circuits and there wasn't a wiring problem. the injectors weren't firing. turns out it was a bad ECU. I sent that in for repair (around $220 with shipping both ways) and all worked well.

the ecu is located behind the kick panels underneath the center of the console inside the car. it bolts to the floor with 2-3 bolts I think. It's the radio sized one. I'm not sure what the smaller box behind the ashtray is. email me if you want the repair center info for the people I used. It was 48hr turnaround once they get it.  If you can wait, (I don't know if they're still backlogged) reichracing.com can repair ECU's. might be cheaper but could take longer.

JJ