TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Fuses melting  (Read 8119 times)

amazonabby

Fuses melting
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »

1991 Mercury Capri XR2
My cooling fan does work. The fuse will not stay in place to tell it to turn on when it is hot. I can push in the fuse while driving to make it make a connection in the fuse box (not safe to hold a fuse in while driving and shifting) The fuse will get melted from me holding it in place (it doesn't blow it just melts the plastic and it looks like it is eating at the metal spokes on the fuses also). I know I could simply unhook my thermostat and that would make my fan come on when the car is on but than I run the risk of burning up the fan motor. Can I wrap the fuse in foil to make it have a better connection? Can I shove a second fuse in there to wedge it in place? Can I install a toggle switch so I can manually turn the fan on when it gets up to temperature? Please help I live in Florida and it is not fun driving with the heater on while holding a fuse in place and shifting.....

Please help this is driving me crazy.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Fuses melting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

check your fan relays, and shoot the wires to make sure there is not a short. my guess is on the fan relay because it is melting the fuse not blowing it. either way you need to fix it ASAP. dont use your foil technique
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

amazonabby

Fuses melting
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »

I read yesterday that I could just bend the prongs and put it back in. I tried it yesterday and it seems to be working. I will let you know if it starts messing up again.