TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: dianose intermitant boost problem  (Read 4345 times)

Sawdust

dianose intermitant boost problem
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »

91 XR2..completely stock, two times now, have lost all boost after being driven hard.(We are autocrossing this car).The first time this happened, after the car sat for two weeks It was back to normal. Saturday we autocrossed, and lost all boost, including the 90 mile drive back home. Today I have boost again, but only about 6 lbs max. the blow-off valve appears to be operating correctly. Maybe the wastegate sticking open? Thanks in advance for any help.

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »

ooh, thats a good one ... id say something made of rubber has a small hole or tear in it and when the car cools the rubber hardens and holds pressssure again...

what class are you running?? what are the rules ?

can you modify the car at all ??

well, id imagine you could make a boost leak checker...

ok, get a 2.5 inch PVC cap for PVC pipe..
  Go to a local tire shop and ask for a new tire valve stem (they'll prolly give it to ya. )
and get a 2.5in rubber coupler for intercooler pipe with a couple clamps..

it will look something like this...

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »

now loosen the acordian tube and VAM from the tube that comes up from the turbo (j pipe)

use your "boost leak checker" on top of the j pipe... here you need a regulated air source.. most air compressors have a regulator knob and a second. outlet pressure guage. ok now about 20 psi on the compressor is roughly 5 to 6 lbs boost
5psi should show a leak. use a tire valve chuck and pressureize the system... that will show leaks in your I/C pipes and at the TB...

i guess a W/G actuator could do that but you would think it would either be good or bad (hold boost or not hold boost...)   maybe if the rod had been bent. and was coming in contact with something and "sticking".. i duno on here.. i guess id have to see and hear it...
            Joe   RCI...

220hp@18psi

Sawdust

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »

We are running H-stock, cant do very much to modify it. Thanks for the tip on the boost checker, I'll try that this weekend.

Sawdust

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »

are there any  vacum lines that need to be pluged before I pressurize the system?

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »

no not really, becuase all the lines are made to see boost anyway... if it leaks from the j pipe connection on the turbo you may need to make an adapter to connect directly to the turbo or right after it..

220hp@18psi

Sawdust

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

As it turns out, after we pulled out the turbo & intercooler to check it all out, the problem was a plugged cat. converter.

So now I need to replace the cat, and I'm thinking about the whole exhaust.....whats available?  

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

nothing..lol

i think everyone has gotten theirs done custom...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

GregZ

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »

Go to the closest cheapest*** muffler shop and have them do a turbo back 2.5" pipe with some kind of free flowing muffler, wither a glasspack or a turbo muffler. Glasspacks dont really muffle the sound tho, my car is VERY loud. But if you decide to get a glasspack make sure you get one that has a *perferated core*. The goal is to have the most free flowing exhaust as possible. The mufler should be around 20 bucks and the exhaust work around 60. So for around 100 bucks you just bought yourself a noticable increase in horsepower and an awesome sounding sleeper.

Greg
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »

mine was about 180 but i had them flange it at the cat so when i do the down pipe and high flow cat later on it will be easier to swap out
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »

Hey Guys!  You're a little lite on the dollars Greg and it's hard for me to believe you got your's for $180, Gost

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »

Several years ago i visited 5 or 6 local shops I was quoted $150-$300 for a cat-back system if I provided my own muffler...so chances are it'll be a bit more than $60 especially for a turbo back.

I've welded my own systems since.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »

Gus here in phoenix we have exhaust shops on just about every corner in most parts.i was getting quoted 150-200 for the cat back flanged at the cat with the glasspack.

sometimes living in the big city has its advantages. they will finish it off for about $100 more once i do my turbo upgrade
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »

Hey! I guess I live in the rich neiborhood. I've had "cats" replaced on two vehicles Lately, not capris; and both cost me $300 each. We had a new law go into effect this year requiring OEM cats be in place. So! I'll have to put one back on "Janis" for inspection this coming year. Gus