TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Help - need new speedo gear  (Read 2889 times)

Joe M

Help - need new speedo gear
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »

I was checking the level/condition of the trans oil on my '91 XR2 by using the speedo gear as a gauge (as per the shop manual) and as I was putting the gear back in, the "ear" that the bolt goes into snapped right off.      It's JB-welding right now, but I don't know if it will hold.  Does anyone have one of these off of a trashed XR2 G-trans or something that I can buy?  I need the gear that mounts from outside the trans and that the speedo cable screws onto.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

This has happened to every speedo gear I've ever touched - its crappy potmetal. Mine broke just right so that when I bolted the tab down - the angle of the break held the rest of the cylinder down. I never looked into fixing it properly but a washer or JB weld like you're using might work just fine
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Phillip

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »

I have an extra.You don't just pry them out you have to twist and pull at the same time.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

I have one once i get to the XR2 to part out..I just repaired mine with a nut and some sheet metal..never leaked a drop..main reason i never used my spare.LOL

Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Joe M

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

JB appears to have held -for now.  I would like to go ahead and buy a gear off of one of you. How much?

Joe M

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

JB appears to have held -for now.  I would like to go ahead and buy a gear off of one of you. How much?