TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Alternator/Power Steering Pulleys?  (Read 2900 times)

auzzie2112

Alternator/Power Steering Pulleys?
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »

Does anyone have any pulleys i can buy off you? napa and other auto parts stores cant get any at all. I need the top alternator pulley on the engine, the lower alternator/power steering pulley and the power steering pump pulley.

Please Help!!!
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »

How did you manage to break all of them?  If it's just a squeak, check your belt tension.  

The idler pulley, which I wasn't aware the car had can be gotten easily, from most REPUTABLE auto stores.  

The other pulleys are bolted/pressed on, they only fail if you hit them with a hammer or something failed in the part itself, in which case I'd replace the failed part.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »

I'll check, and see what I have........
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

auzzie2112

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:00 AM »

well i'm guessing that is what is bad..i've put two new alternator belts on and both times it snapped off. First time i think alternator was too loose and it was squeeling like crazy and came off, second time i thought i had it perfect but the rubber was burning and it was smoking from the belt and both the alternator and power steering belt came off. Any suggestion? how tight/loose should each be?
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »

It sounds like you have the dreaded alternator pully issue. Its due to a small misalignment in the belts, and an undersized belt to begin with.

There's a TSB about it, I think the solution is to replace the alternator pulley with a  redesigned pulley.

When I do an alt belt I make sure its pretty darn tight. If its squealing, its too loose, or needs replacing.

You don't need to replace all the pulleys, as RC stated some you just can't replace. You might be able to get away with shimming the alternator too.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

auzzie2112

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »

if i purchased a new alternator would this fix the problem? otherwise where can i get a new pulley for the alternator?
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »

Are you from the US? What is your cars build date?

Getting a new alternator will likely help, I think all the new ones come with the updated pulley?

You might have to go to the dealer to find the revised pulley, I did a brief search through my normal parts sources and I'm not finding it.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »

If you get a newer alternator it should be fine, shims may help to get it just right if you don't want to go that route.  

The 1990-EARLY 1991 alts are SLIGHTLY offset to the newer alts used on LATE 1991+ capri's, thanks to my Genco book at work.  

auzzie2112

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »

well i figured out the problem and its actually the power steering pump belt coming off and hitting the alternator belt. where the pulley loosens all the bolts are there but there is about 4" screw that holds the pump in place and from coming forward that is missing from before i purchased the car and allows the pump to slide forward and loosen the pump belt. FINALLY IT WORKS!!
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater