TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Need down/flex pipe  (Read 2301 times)

billibarou

Need down/flex pipe
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

Hi,

I am replacing the exhaust on my non-turbo 1991 Capri.  I am trying to find the pipe that connects directly to the exhaust manifold and I can't seem to locate one.  Anyone have ideas?  I have found a new catalytic converter, resonator, muffler, and tail pipe...but no joy on the down/flex pipe.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Need down/flex pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »

I might have an N/A downpipe laying around - I'll check. There is no OEM flexpipe, there is a union flange between the cat & downpipe that uses a ball & socket type gasket to allow flex. I've used an aftermarket flex pipe with every one of the exhaust systems I've welded up.

Just be wary of the parts you've found - most of them are probably univeral and not "direct fit" as they might try to lead you to believe.

IMO - I would bring it to an exhaust shop & have it quoted, they'll do the whole thing in larger diameter pipe that will perform better, much cheaper than trying to piece together an OEM system, IMO.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

billibarou

Need down/flex pipe
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

Stupid question but does N/A stand for Naturally Aspirated because of the lack of turbo?  I keep thinking it means North America...

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Need down/flex pipe
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »

Not a stupid question at all!!! It took me a couple days before I figured it out, but I was too afraid to ask! Kudos to you! And yes, it means naturally aspirated because of no turbo.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

blue93

Need down/flex pipe
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »

It's probably worth mentioning that after you modify the exhaust system and make all the other requisite "breathing" modifications, you can claim to be "U/A," or "unnaturally aspirated!"
Mark
Stratosphere Blue \\\'93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2
Camellia Red Pearl \\\'10 Subaru Forester 5sp

billibarou

Need down/flex pipe
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »

Anyone know where I can get the adjustment bolt for the power steering pump?  Mine broke off while trying to take the power steering pump off.