TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Repairs underway... FINALLY!! (91 Capri)  (Read 5629 times)

David Deutsch

Repairs underway... FINALLY!! (91 Capri)
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:02:00 AM »

Bought this Capri (it's my first one) in April of 08 and I'm just now getting around to putting it on the road. I'd be in the driveway right now but waiting on rear wheel bearings to come in. Once I have them, I'll be on the road and start finding and repairing all the other bugs. I have not figured out how the top goes down yet. Don't know what's up (or down) w/ the headlamp lifter motors yet. Going to need a new ignition column switch and key. Guess what I'm trying to say is... I may have a question or 10 over the next couple of days/weeks/months.

JackRobot

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:41:00 AM »

What part of the ignition do you need? I removed my stock key on the column setup.

Ask away man, we'll all try to help you out.
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Project car
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Daily driver
1986.5 Nissan Hardbody project minitruck

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »

Hey Jack!  Thats the spirit!  Hey David! Give the forum a whirl when you have needs. There are lots of us just waiting to get a shot at you. Gus

David Deutsch

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »

Thanks for making me feel welcome. I'm just in from rounding up rear rotors, wheel bearings, seals and spindle nuts. I'm going to get out there early tomorrow morning and with any luck should be taking my first ride before 9:00 AM.

First thing I'm confused w/ is why I can not get the top down all the way. It goes the majority of the way but stops folding with eight to ten inch left sticking out of the stow compartment.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »

David-
Thats one of the top 5 questions asked by new Capri owners! As you put the top down, push the bar that would be over your head if you were in the car, back, and the top should fold up nicely!

Welcome to the forum,  and as Gus said, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you need parts, you can usually find them here cheaper than anywhere else, and you'll also always find someone that can give you advice on installing them!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

David Deutsch

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »

Russ, I'll let you know how the next top down attempt goes in the morning.

Jack, Not sure what I need regarding the ignition switch yet both will get back w/ the team once I pull the column cowl.

I'm no rookie when it comes to auto mechanics BUT fwd, fuel injection and electronic ignition are new to me. I've been playing w/ MG Midgets and MGBs for the last 14 years and Fiat 124 and 128 for several years before that. I'm an old dog looking forward to learning some new tricks.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »

Hey David! These are simpler once you get into them. I have a friend who is a mercedes mechanic in Palm Springs. When he first moved down there many years ago, he owned a fiat. That car gave him so many fits of anger he took it out in the dessert and with a 7mm rifle shot it through the head several times ang finished it off with several gut shots to the block. All this and he had owned two sprites prior to the Fiat. you're not beyond help here. Welcome aboard!  Gus

David Deutsch

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

Well it's continueing to beat me up and frustrate me. I'm going to order an owners manual and shop manual and hopefully get some questions answered. Can't figure out how to get this top down and it's making me feel like an idiot.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

Hey David! When you get the top partially down, maybe a foot away from the windshield, there is a bar that moves that runs across the canvas top, push up on it as you continue to fold the Top down. Don't feel stupid because a lot of us had similar problems. Gus  got your pictures. She be quite a looker when you're done.  Gus

David Deutsch

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »

Have yet to try getting the top down again but thought I'd give posting an image here a go.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=30321079&id=1592022154&ref=nf

David Deutsch

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »

Did not go well w/ image post... sorry

David Deutsch

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

Success w/ putting the top down today  

JJ

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »

I received this suggestion about a week too late from a seasoned 323 mechanic, but if you haven't changed the rear wheel bearings yet, this might be some good advice:

Get Timken bearings. Not just Timken, but made in USA, Japan, or Germany Timken.  Avoid ANY brand if it comes from China or Mexico.

Don't be surprised if you're changing those Chinese bearings again in 6 mo. It happened to me.

David Deutsch

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »

I did just change the rear bearing but it was no fun finding them. I first ordered some thru Amazon Auto and received the wrong ones. I then went to NAPA and got everything needed BUT the inner bearings came from DE, the outers from CT and seals from PA.

I'm hoping to get the car thru NYS inspection this week. New top next week and I'm hoping that it's ready for regular use.