TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Headlight Conversion  (Read 14157 times)

Piojo

Headlight Conversion
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

is it possible to convert my headlights to this idea?

rcdraco

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »

Check the space.  I'm sure it's possible with enough  cutting and drilling, but that particular design uses projector low beams with the compact square composites as the high beams.  I don't think there is enough clearance on the capri due to the angle of the hood being much closer to flat then on that car, which appears to be an MR2.

Piojo

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »

how about this idea..

rcdraco

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »

That is not a conversion, that is a car 180sx with a nissan silvia front end, aka a sileighty.  If you mean you want to do a swap like that, the aerodynamics of the capri again sort of interfere with that.  I have seen one with taurus lights fitted to it with MAJOR body modification to make it smoother.  You'd have to do that, or modify an existing kit to make it fit properly.  

This isn't something you can just approach and do in a weekend.  I now have two cars with hidden headlights, and neither of which have any problem as long as you maintain the wiring and keep everything in decent shape.  As far as major replacement it's fairly easy to get a new motor as it's shared with the probe.(note: the assembly is NOT shared, they do differ)

Piojo

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »

i dont want to swap a the body kit. i just want to make the the capri blinkers into headlights instead of using the pop up headlights..

rcdraco

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »

Then you're going to have to do some serious work.  The inside of the lenses need to be painted reflective, the housing needs to be modified for dual beams, the turn signals need to be relocated.  Not to mention the fact that you'd have to aim the lights in there as well to get it right.  You're better off using an existing light assembly and adapting it, or just leaving your lights up all the time.

Piojo

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »

True.. ill see what i can do

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Headlight Conversion
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »

You can do anything if you have the $$$ and the Skills...

If your lacking in both of these areas..nope you cant do it..LOL
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Captain

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/capritain
Headlight Conversion
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »

Here's what I came across for idea because they show the inside housing.

91 Mercury Capri
Capritain @ Cardomain.com

rcdraco

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »

I think his goal is to save money rather then repair the motors on his car/wiring/switch.  NSX projectors are probably gonna run you more then the cost of a new set of motors would.  

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Headlight Conversion
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »

I don't think that was anyones goal here, definitely not OP's... Motors are cheap and easy to repair
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Headlight Conversion
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »

On my car my goal is to switch to a set of projector lights. I want headlight features of a modern car. The stock headlights suck, lol

Projectors will give me a better beam pattern. And I can run HID's properly without blinding anyone (no im not going to run the super blue or purple ones either)

Very old picture of a mockup I did:

This is pretty much what I'm after... headlights will still work but the linkage will be modded so they only go up halfways
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

AlexV08

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »

that looks good rocketman. i wanna do that too. just got no idea where to start.  i like the way the front of the car looks with the lights being lower like that.

rcdraco

Headlight Conversion
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »

Just a matter of sourcing, designing, and cutting.  Projectors are more common then they used to be, for my current project I sourced a pair from a quad light acura integra.  They're fairly easy to come by when you know honda guys with loads of spare parts.

Captain

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/capritain
Headlight Conversion
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

LOL, i was trying to show the setup.

rcdraco: I think his goal is to save money rather then repair the motors on his car/wiring/switch. NSX projectors are probably gonna run you more then the cost of a new set of motors would  
I would like to know what's the smallest HID they make. So we could use side by side in the flipup slot for hi and lo. I could only find 4" at ebay.

One of these day, i'll try it. One thing at a time.
91 Mercury Capri
Capritain @ Cardomain.com
Pages: [1] 2