TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (updated-pics!) Greg's 91 xr2 build thread  (Read 8291 times)

GregZ

(updated-pics!) Greg's 91 xr2 build thread
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

I think its time to show everybody what im working with. LOL

I will post pictures soon as well as keep everybody updated.

As of now my capri is stock except for my 11/tbird hybrid turbo that i bought a while back.

Building a bulletproof low compression motor so i can spray and run lots of boost. (being carefull to no run to lean of course)
- low compression wiseco pistons
- a HELL of a port job
- Miata intake maifold
- bored .030 over
- stock cams/gears
- angled valves
- cat rods

looking for around 250 whp with a 50 shot, and high 12s in the 1/4      

Also just bought an intercooler kit off ebay for cheap including a loud bov. I want em to hear me comin!        

Doing all the body work myself in hopes of having a half way decent looking sleeper.

took the wing off two so it looks like an N/A capri!!

Im definatly excited to see how this is going to turn out.

I would love to hear some ideas and suggestions for some of you guys.

SO GET POSTING      

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

sounds yummy
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »

miata intake should be a good time, since the throttle body will be right next to the cam gears and the front engine mount... ive seen it done on a festiva... but the piping looked restrictive and VERY cramped... it will yeild torque from the runners being stretched.. but it will also cuase some boost lag due to the increased volume of that intake plenum....

keep in mind that a 50 shot on a turbo car will not make 50hp.. it will make close to 75 hp..

if you want to build a fast assed b6t you should scrap the nitrous idea and build a high compression. using the eagle rods and the 10-1 pistons for the 1.6 miata... then cam it and get injectors and a better turbo... the way your going about it is VERY expensive.. and the engine will wear fast using nitrous... besides when running multiple runs you will need more nitrous or have some slow runs... be prepared to have to fill the bottle ALOT...and definately get a bigger fuel pump... you ought to get one anyway to run a bigger turbo...  
    ....just my .02 ...Joe...

220hp@18psi

icurunnin

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »

and 390cc injectors   :D
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

GregZ

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »

Joe you are very right, the only thing is i bought the motor and all the components already for 400 bucks which was a hell of a deal. I can run way more boost on low compression pistons safer and thats what im looking for. Id much rather run more boost than have higher compression. Lots of boost + high compression = reduced engine life even with good rods. Im very confident in the engine i am bulding even though i know you can get more power out of high compression motors though its not much unless you are running super high compression like the all motor honda which run in the neighborhood of 14:1. As for the intake mani i might end up useing the stock one because i did bolt the miata intake mani to the head and its super close!.

If i am wrong, please corect me!!

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)

GregZ

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »

This guy builds 1000 hp dsm's. And this is what i mean. And i know your a hell of a mechanic joe so let me know whats up.

***tsi_neal
scientifically you want less compression because its less likely to detonate due to cyl pressure, nothing to do with heat.(heat causes detonation but not in this case) The heat of the charged air is the exact same weather its 15psi going into 8:1 or 11:1 however the dynamic compression of the 11:1 and 15psi will likely be much higher than any pump gas can handle...

It has been proven many times that when dealing with a specific grade of gas that lower compression will create better power on boost. but if you run the gas to handle the boost and higher compression than the higher compression will make better power. Example you run a turbo that spins up to 20psi before is looses all efficency and want to make the most of this and have vp116 gas to run all the time. then id consider 11:1. but if your stuck with 91 or 94 pump then id probably consider 8.5 or 9 to be the max, but it will be faily volitile at that. where 8:1 youll run that 20psi on pump pretty easily.
OR
take a turbo that will spin 25psi and you want to make the most of that youll have to drop the compression

Remember this 1 point in static compression ratio is worth ~5% gains and this is regardless of boost or not. but the extra psi you may be able to run with lower compression SHOULD make more power than compression. Its all a trade off, depends on specifics of the cam profiles, head design, turbo choice, intercooler choice, etc. The safe bet is drop compression tho
91 xr2 (SOLD)

GregZ

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »

also where do i get the 390cc injectors?
91 xr2 (SOLD)

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

this civic is chris whites (khrys on here) old car.. he has since sold it ...
this was an ls v-tec with a b16 head and a t3-t4 turbo, pushing in the 600cfm range...

with a 10.2-1 compression,on 16psi, running regular pump 93 octane.. made 322whp... no ping no race gas...thats on a large 1.8 (a 1.6 is far more resistant to ping)

now my engine is a 1.6 running a 405cfm turbo on a 9.2-1 compression (see some similaraties) and im making 218whp on 18psi on 93 pump gas....
both of theese cars are running stock. pistons, rods, and cams... neither car detonates due to compression or heat on regular 93 octane fuel.

what is my point.... if 10.2 @ 16psi dosent detonate when properly tuned on 93 octane...
at what point does fuel detonate...

one thing is for sure with lower compression you can play with timing alot more...

but, bigger the turbo, the bigger the lag, and higher compression spools a turbo faster,and makes more power off boost, the power off the line and before 4,000 rpm is greatly enhanced...
drivability in real world conditions is greatly enhanced...a higher compression makes for a more complete burn, and alot less issues with cylinder wash...

life of the lower compression engine will be longer.. but a single shot of spray and you have totally blown that theory out of the water...
nitrous destroys engines, even used properly and with caution, its just volitile and very violent shit man...

a fully built 5.0 ford, with eagle rods, and probe nitrous pistons... with a conservative
12-1 compression, on a 250 shot.. will last approx.1.5 seasons at the drag strip before it is so worn that a rebuild is badly needed..(power has been lost) my friend james lewis has two fox bodies with two 5.0 engines built to near this spec, and rebuilds one every winter..
he also owns southside auto repair here in lexington and can afford to do that....

now if your going to build a turbo car to say 200hp and spray the other 50 for show on the dyno then ok... but to say you have 250 hp
only on the bottle aint no fun ...

if you bought it cheap, and thought you could just slap it together... heres another reality comin ... to use a wide assed eagle rod, you want to check into getting your block milled to clear the sides of the block when the piston comes to TDC...

the one in the middle is your stock rod, to the left hand side is a BPD JDM GT-R rod..
 the eagles are even bigger ... just make sure its milled so the bigger rod has clearance on the top corners as the assembly spins...(most engines need mill work to get them to fit...

ill post aggain, when i have more time... but think about what your getting into, and cover all the angles BEFORE you put it all together and start it... you will need plastiguage to check the tolerances on the crankshaft..(you cant throw the eagles onto a stock crank that is wore below spec)... or bearings i should say...
anywho ill post later on ....Joe

220hp@18psi

GregZ

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

Joe, the motor is already to be assembled. i am using the xr2 rods because im quickly running out of money. I will post pictures soon.
91 xr2 (SOLD)

icurunnin

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »

you can find the 390's at  4g61t.org or galantvr4.org

They are the gray top injectors out of 91-94 Turbo Eclipse, Laser, and Talons that came with the automatic if you want to go junkyard hunting. Most who have them want to give them away for nothing so you should find a good deal on some.

I know of a set that were for sale if one of the guys here never came through. Let me get in touch with the seller and see if the guy here ever paid him for them. If not he wants $38 shipped for them.
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

sad when everyone else post more pics the thread starter

:D  

and it is about his car!
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

GregZ

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »

Pictures

Tearing apart the stock motor

11/tbird hybrid turbo

building the motor

custom low comp. wiseco pistons

ported and cleaned head

Starting some body work

91 xr2 (SOLD)

GregZ

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »

should have it all put back together including the fmic in the next couple of weeks.

cant wait.

ill be sure to keep everybody updated.

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)

1992xr2

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »

Some of this stuff seems familiar...lol
\\\'90 Civic Si