TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Hey Guys im new :)  (Read 4302 times)

Tim McGorray

Hey Guys im new :)
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »

hey guys just got a mint 91 Capri from my dad already have some ideas in mind.

1) chrome roll-bar
2) race seats
3) cold air intake
4) blacked out lights
and lastly which im most stumped on is i have grey trim around my car how do i get red trim like i see everywhere? do i paint it with a good trim paint or buy it after-market?! any input and/or answers would be great  

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

Supposedly the cosmetic roll-bars for mazda miata's bolt in with minor modifications, but structural ones would probably be closer to the side of custom made.

Race seats are almost exclusively universal fit units.  Someone here or someone you know who has them should be able to point you in the right direction.  You might also be able to locate them online, or ordered from your local auto parts store depending on how they operate.

Cold air intake is not a manufactured kit, you'll need to fab up a kit, depending on if it's turbocharged or not.  Spectre produces various bends in varying sizes, the turbocharged models require a pretty large amount of parts, and non-turbo models require a few straights and a bend, as well as some clamps.  Due to the nature of the capri's mass airflow sensor though you won't see much benefit from intake modification other then eliminating restrictive bends on the turbo model.

Most just get the maf adapter plate and a cone filter, or in my case, I have a strap to hold my sensor level and run a short cone filter which fits without having to remove anything.  Most autoparts stores offer the maf plate, you'll need the smaller of the two and when I did mine I had to drill out the holes to attach it to the factory mounting point.

I am not sure what the approach is for these, but I know my workplace sells spray paint for lenses, but I believe it applies too dark to be street legal.  One benefit though is that the lenses only have a few screws holding them in, so they're easy to remove, and capri suppliers like mid-county mustang offer the clear lenses for the front lenses.

The side trim strips are red and the fender guards are grey.  1994 capri's had body color painted panels, which may explain what you're talking about.

Tim McGorray

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:00 AM »

Thanks for all the info! yes i was planning on useing the miata style roll bars and i should be able to find a good way to black out the lights. ill check out that side for the clear turning signals too!and if i understand right then most of you guys who have colored trim either have 94s or took them off a parts car? im 16 so i dont have to much $ so i want the cheapest way to still get my capri a quality car that will turn some heads!

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »

Tim-
Glad you found the site!  
As per our email conversation, the side trim you are looking for is from a a 94. The trim you have now can be painted, though. I will check my stock today, and see if I have any 94 trim laying around.
I also may have a set or two of the clear lenses, I'll check on those as well. Finally, I may have a set of smoked lenses available. I have a customers car down at my barn, and I will check and see if she wants to keep the lenses or not.  I don't think she does, but I'll check. Here's a picture of the car, with lenses:

The rollbar (show bar) and racing seats can be done, but you must fabricate custom brackets for both:

The universal sliders that come with racing seats will NOT work, because our floors are not flat.

A cold air intake would have to be fabricated, as well. A cone filter helps, and if your car is non-turbo, I don't think a CAI would help a whole lot anyway. Perhaps you should consider a turbo swap?? You are lucky enough to have the best Capri mechanic on the planet living near you (Rocketman). He's the guy who built the worlds only all wheel drive Capri (the GTXR2). He probably wouldn't have a problem with meeting up with you and giving you a hand......

If you need any other parts, let me know - I have a barn full! And if you have any questions, feel free to post up!  We love to help!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Tim McGorray

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:01:00 AM »

Thanks so much guys im actually a very mechanically acquainted person so small fabrication and modifications sound be quite easy for me. But an all wheel drive Capri is one thing i could never do lol! and i found a 94 parts car buy me that hopefully i can have the guy hold untill i get the money http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/2126758786.html
but thats alot of work for me to have to part out the car after i get what i want so if you have parts like trim rear lights front clears etc.. id be interested since it would be cheaper. so let me know what you have!    ill try to get some pics up  

its a 91 new top about 2 years ago, new paint 3 years ago original cardinal red. it has 17inch rims with low profile tires. the interior is mint! the only thing that ,makes it not perfect is like a nickel sized dent in the driver door and a small one inch tear in the top that i have sewed shut!
if i get parts from you guys id be happy to lend out my original parts fro someone reconditioning theres or anything since its all mint!

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »

That car is NOT a 94! It has been mentioned several times here.
Here is a quick, easy way to spot the difference.
Notice the difference in these bumpers, and yours:

Although there are a bunch more differences, the bumpers are the easiest way to tell as you walk up to a car, or see pics on craigslist. The best way to tell is the VIN. The 10th digit should be an "R", if it is a 94 (M=91, N=92, P=93).
That craigslist car would be good for the turbo engine and parts (IF it still runs......) but trim, tail lights, side mirrors, all the cool 94 parts will be absent on that car! Just keep that in mind when you make a deal........

Tim McGorray

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »

okay thanks i though it looked a little weird.. ill probably stay away from it then to much money for me and i dont really need a hard top and the turbo isnt a big priority for me. thanks for spotting that  

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »

Thats why we're here! I'd hate to see you buy the car thinking it was a 94, and it wasnt.