TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Electric Supercharger  (Read 2902 times)

stinkweed

Electric Supercharger
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »

As I was browsing the web, I came across a couple of sights offering electric superchargers for imports. I have a 91 N/A and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these units? Both sights claim their units will provide up to 5 psi boost for W.O.T. momentary usage. The units are basically a plastic housing with a high speed blower motor and a cone air filter. I'm curious about these things and for $200 it would be a neat experiment. Does anyone know how the VAF and ECU on my N/A would react to forced induction? The units basically mount in place of the air filter box. If it would work, it would be a great power adder for those of us who have N/A cars. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks guys!  :cool:

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Electric Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »

Absolutely, postively will not work. True electric superchargers need a trunk full of batteries to provide the power needed, and beastly electric motors to turn them.

I wish they'd quit trying to sell those damn things anymore, its really just a scam. Most of those things actually hurt performance, they restrict flow, they can spin nearly fast enough - they're just DC powered computer fans lol. The performance gains in HP you see would be from the air filter not the s/c itself.

IF you'd like some more performance, grab a cone filter and install it on the VAF, forgo the rest of the bits. You'll save $175  

And yea, I messed around with electric superchargers waaaaaaaay back in the day on my first car, I had a 2,000 watt motor and a spare battery...made me slower lol it just didn't keep up with the engine and choked it up top
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"