TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Electric Supercharger  (Read 2901 times)

stinkweed

Electric Supercharger
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »

As I was browsing the web, I came across a couple of sights offering electric superchargers for imports. I have a 91 N/A and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these units? Both sights claim their units will provide up to 5 psi boost for W.O.T. momentary usage. The units are basically a plastic housing with a high speed blower motor and a cone air filter. I'm curious about these things and for $200 it would be a neat experiment. Does anyone know how the VAF and ECU on my N/A would react to forced induction? The units basically mount in place of the air filter box. If it would work, it would be a great power adder for those of us who have N/A cars. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks guys!  :cool:

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Electric Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »

Absolutely, postively will not work. True electric superchargers need a trunk full of batteries to provide the power needed, and beastly electric motors to turn them.

I wish they'd quit trying to sell those damn things anymore, its really just a scam. Most of those things actually hurt performance, they restrict flow, they can spin nearly fast enough - they're just DC powered computer fans lol. The performance gains in HP you see would be from the air filter not the s/c itself.

IF you'd like some more performance, grab a cone filter and install it on the VAF, forgo the rest of the bits. You'll save $175  

And yea, I messed around with electric superchargers waaaaaaaay back in the day on my first car, I had a 2,000 watt motor and a spare battery...made me slower lol it just didn't keep up with the engine and choked it up top
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"