TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: big XR2 project  (Read 6975 times)

yagrox11

big XR2 project
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »

(long one)
So I bought a still running XR2 out of my buddy's garage for no joke 300 dollars he literally just said take it.
All the vinyl, soft top and many other things were in mint condition so that was great.

I'll be slowly collecting some pieces for the interior and exterior such as ground effects, seats, carpeting all that with a full repaint as well. I figure all that will just happen in time.

The engine and performance are what will take the longest and I have the least understanding of.

As for performance and rebuild, the actual engine has been completely rebuilt, now it's on to a bigger turbo, exhaust/intake systems and all that. I want this thing completely running on new and trusty parts with a considerable gain in performance without being an issue to drive on the street.
I'll still be running the 1.6L B6T, I was wondering what the suggestions were out there for a turbo upgrade and overhaul on the system.  I've read a lot of good things about some of the turbos available such as the VJ11/14 hybrid, but other than shown in HP gain and boost gains, I'm not smart on all the mapping and such.
what other systems should I look at for connection, and how and where can I get them? Looking for at least a 20-30 bhp gain with boost gains as well, and all parts necessary for handling these jumps.
Im willing to really put money into this bird and build an all new beauty to rival some of the best on here.
Thanks guys, can't wait to hear back (sorry it's a long one again)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
big XR2 project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »

Here's one for you Matt...I know you want to.

mazdacapri

big XR2 project
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »

Less restrictive Intake/Exhaust, Boost Controler, blow off valve, bigger intercooler, lightweight wheels, Good Tires, Poly urathane bushings, stabilizer end links, camber adjustment kit, better brakes, better everything.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
big XR2 project
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »

Welcome to TeamCapri! You've certainly got some work ahead of you.

Here's a list of engine mods folks commonly go for:

Intake & Exhaust (2.25 - 2.5)
Chipped ECU, Boost controller, Blowoff valve
Front mount intercooler
Upgraded clutch
Upgraded downpipe
Larger turbo...
Not to mention brake/suspension upgrades

Turbos:

If you're sticking with the hybrid options you don't need to read compressor maps. The VJ14/11 acts similar to the stock turbo, similar spool time but it will pull harder & hold constant boost to redline. It'll make about 30hp over the stock turbo. Requires porting of the stock wastegate if you don't want boost spikes.

The VJ11/Tbird is much bigger than the stock turbo, has a longer spool time but can support a higher max boost (18-20psi vs 16 for stock or 14/11 hybrid) It will require porting of the wastegate and it stretches the stock fuel system to just about it's limit.

If you're just looking for 20-30hp gain, that's easily achievable with the stock turbo using the 2-3 mods in the list above.

Have a look around the forum here if you haven't already - see what other folks have done.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

yagrox11

big XR2 project
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

Thanks so much guys for the recommendations. @Rocketman-thanks a lot for the quick hybrid breakdown.
I'll be letting everybody know which direction I take it, and allow others to follow along in the build. I'm sure I come up against all kinds of issues that many others have hit, and this place is a great source.

yagrox11

big XR2 project
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »

So where would a good place to start be for the Intake and 11/Tbird hybrid??

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
big XR2 project
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »

Well, since there are no bolt on after market intake kits for the Capri, you need to fab one up yourself. There are tons of threads on here talking about the intake with lots of pics. Basically, getting rid of the stock air box, and using a cone or mushroom filter on the VAF is the best way to start.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
big XR2 project
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:26:00 AM »

You've got a lot of supporting mods to knock out first before jumping into the 11/tbird hybrid  

yagrox11

big XR2 project
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:00 AM »

Oh I def. get that, just a total research junkie, and a lot of the material out there is misleading, or has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.
Mostly what I'm thinking of starting with is airflow in/out, and some other things that I AM familiar with.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
big XR2 project
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »

You're going to need to source a VJ11 turbine housing, or whole VJ11 turbo

And also going to need a whole Tbird turbo, or at least the compressor housing/compressor

There's a couple ways to put the hybrid together, I've gone in depth here on the forum several times about it so look for my posts regarding hybrids. Basically - you can mix/match whole sections of the turbo yourself, or swap smaller pieces but may require professional balancing. Of course you can always send all the parts into a pro shop for a complete rebuild + hybrid, but that's usually the most costly option.

fayzaldean

big XR2 project
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »

rocketman!! i finally have bought a mazda familia gtr and am about to tear it down to 4wd my capri!! where do i start? any advice? anything i need to know?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
big XR2 project
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »

Maybe you will want to post your thread, instead of hijacking yagrox11's thread?

1. Don't cut up a Familia GTR. Drive it as-is! DON'T CUT IT UP! They're super freakin rare.
2. Familia GTR is a BG chassis, you only want the engine/trans from it. You need a 88/89 BFMR for the suspension. BG stuff doesn't fit/extremely hard to fit into a BF

azgtx

• Old-Timer
big XR2 project
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »

For Christ's sake.....DO NOT chop that GTR. You will be plagued by any and all Mazda Gods for as long as you live. Remember what happened to the guy who opened King Tut's tomb..... If you want a BF GTX floorpan I have one in Mesa AZ. The Capri is a BF based car anyway as the GTR is a BG chassis.
Think man...
Clay

schreurs1

big XR2 project
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »

if you want some fun horsepower for little money, have you ecu chipped and crank up the boost.  turns it into a completely different car!  just dont burn up the clutch.
1991 festiva GL
1990 festiva L+
1991 Capri XR2