TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold 1990 Turbo  (Read 4369 times)

JayPHedges

Exhaust Manifold 1990 Turbo
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »

Dose any one know where I can Find a Exhaust Manifold to fit a 1990 SA Turbo, I know there is some that are compatible with it just don't know what they are?

Looked at 3 yesterday and all had the same crack as mine between 2,3

don't even think the one on her is the right one?

I'm Adelaide South Australia so any help from Aussie members would be great,
She booked in the have a 2.25 stainless and highflow cat on Thursday, was hoping to get the manifold done then if I can find one. [/url][/IMG]  [/url][/IMG]

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »

JayPHedges,

The manifold you have is unuasual, I have never seen it before. Do you know the history of the vehicle? It may be from a rare HKS turbo kit upgrade.

Can you get us some close-up pics of the turbo?

As far as I know they have been using the same turbo manifold since they started making the turbo engine circa 1986 but I'm not positive on that.

Almost every manifold is cracked, its a design flaw. Most of the cracks are cosmetic and dont leak. I would'nt worry about it.

But I am still very interested in seeing pics of your turbo and maybe closeup shots of the manifold is you can get any.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JayPHedges

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply Rocketman.

my capri history is. it use to be my best friends dads car from new, he just started to do it up when he past away. he had the engine swap for one with 47k.

I have done
pod filter
valve cover seal/gasket
valve cover breather
oil and oil filter change
cleaned and flushed coolant system/ new high grade coolant
P.C.V valve
fuel filter
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs

she was running beautiful and holding boost at about 10 psi. then the muffler started rattling as if some thing was loose inside it and I lost half my boost and holds at around 4 psi at the moment.
I dont have a boost valve controller installed yet, but will be get one after the exhaust is done.

here is some more photos hope you can see from these, if it's only cosmetic like you said would save me a lot of time and money.  [/url][/IMG]  [/url][/IMG]  [/url][/IMG]  [/url][/IMG]  [/url][/IMG]  [/url][/IMG]

I did clean up where the crack is and cleaned back of heat shield to see if anything escaped from the crack but I cant see any signs of this.

JayPHedges

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »

just a little more history.

the exhaust size from back of turbo is 2.5 inches all the way through past the CAT until the last meter where it meets the muffler and then it drops down to 1 3/4 inches.

what would be best for my capri as it going in on Thursday?

we are one day ahead of the U.S here.

P.S click to enlarge the above images

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »

Hmm I still cant tell from those pics what turbo is on there. I was mistaken when I said HKS, it was Greddy who made the only aftermarket turbo kit for the 323GTX. That is definitely an unusual manifold. Can you read any of the info on the turbo compressor?

I cant see any coolant lines on the turbo...The Greddy turbo kit used a Mitsubishi TDO4 turbo.

If you already have 2.5" most of the way back, I'd leave that. Replace the 1 3/4" section with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JayPHedges

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

Turbo has coolant line into it, it was leaking a little, maybe a 100ml of coolant over 3-4 hours running,  I just replace the line and clamps last night-no more leaking.

Will go and look for numbers on the turbo now

JayPHedges

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

these are all the markings on the intake side
I.H.I Turbo
turbo spec. VJ6 8601
Serial No RHB5 27204
Part No B6606

Cast Flange behind intake has R23J