TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A sad christmas  (Read 5453 times)

fishface

A sad christmas
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »

ive had awful capri luck this crimbo, first needing to replace my fuel pump and petrol tank, as it got pierced, then my radiator went,
i killed the engine and pulled over as soon as a saw it apporoaching 100 degrees, not even near red, then got the radiator  replaced. and now the car judders a little when you pull away, plus im getting steam from the exhaust.

so im guessing a head gasket, and maybe worse. my mechanic did a pressure test and the head hasnt given yet, the cars a 90 turbo sa, its cost me a 1000 bucks already, and im thnking about chucking it, or trying to flood it with engine block sealer, and sell it, what do you reckon guys?

happy new year n all.

fishface

A sad christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

think im gonna give the sealant a go,

see if i can get it to stop smoking long enough, to sell at auction.
anybody done this before?
also what are the block and head made from?

as i was thinking of using iron tight, but i think it might only work for iron.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
A sad christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

Doing a head gasket on these cars is relatively easy. I replaced a head gasket + upgraded my turbo working about 10hrs.

Find a gasket set, gather your tools & find somebody to deck the head for you. Sorry you're having bad luck but no reason to give up on it, they're worth it in the end!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
A sad christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

ya....replace the gasket if the head is not gone..its probably time for water pump and everything else since u did the radiator already. make the whole coolant system be new...then you got years left in her
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

fishface

A sad christmas
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »

hey thanks guys,

head gaskets off, heads & cams still straight, so it could have been worse, water pump still looks good, and theres no play in the turbo, its the first time its all been apart, so its good to see what condition its all in,
I sked my mechanic if he thinks its worth porting the head out, while its off, and he said im better off putting a bigger turbo on it, hes got a huge one off of a truck, he said it could be alright, but im not so sure,

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
A sad christmas
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »

glad to hear you didnt grenade it ...

a turbo from a diesel (like a holset from a cummins) will work... but thats like a budget build turbo for a civic... its huge and will spool slow as crap and all its power is made at like 18+ psi so you would never even put it into eficiency it would blow your engine...
if you want a budget turbo upgrade get a eclipse/talon/laser turbo...or a small t3-t4 even from a mustang svo or id imagine any turbo mitsubishi or dodge k cars ...

a dream find would be a toyota ct-20 from a tt supra or the mr2 turbo

thats a nice turbo, and its for a two litre like a mitsu 14b ... flows a little more....

also remember if your gonna upgrade turbos you need to upgrade the fuel system as well...
pump, injectors, FPR ...

220hp@18psi

fishface

A sad christmas
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »

Hey guys, turns out my heads dead after all, after further inspection, its got a nasty crack running all the way through, thats near on impossible to weld, ive got a question im sure one of you will know the answer to, is the turbo head the same as the naturally aspirted one, for example could i pull a head off of a mazda 323 16v? and use that, or a non turbo capri.

if not, this isnt looking good for me, thanks in advance

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
A sad christmas
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »

well, heres the deal...
 the question isnt will it fit...the head will bolt to your block.... its wether you can get your cams and dizzy to fit in a N/A head... your distributer controlls timing... you need to use a b6t dist.
if you are going to run a turbo....
no worries you have one.... you also have the cams....
BUT... will they fit an na head??
 the cams im gonna say yes ... dist. i dunno?? are the valves the same size or not? i dunno...

we have effectively come to the end of my b6 knowledge... your best bet is rocketman... he would probably know....

220hp@18psi

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
A sad christmas
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »

Hey Guys!  Yes they all bolt up. Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
A sad christmas
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

are the valves the same circumferance??
 or did the turbo cars head, have any larger of a valve????
i would think that it would be the same..
then they adjust duration and lift in the camlobe
for the turbos...

220hp@18psi

azgtx

• Old-Timer
A sad christmas
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »

All same ....just swap the cams and and disty. been there done that. If you want some more grunt down low use an exhaust cam from an automatic car. If you want the high end breathing stay with the B660 cam.
Clay

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
A sad christmas
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

so the NA and turbo heads are the same then....or am i just lost?

good thing to know since i have a spare NA engine sitting around and soon to be a few more
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

fishface

A sad christmas
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »

thanks so much for the input guys,

i figured the head would be the same,

Wasnt sure about the valves cams, etc, if it is just a matter of using my turbo cams and distributor with a b6 head, that makes getting a replacement head a bit more likely, as i think a mazda 323 , or ford lazer 16v are much more easy to get hold of at a scrappers over here.

any more info is welcome, this forum is a life saver, thanks guys.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
A sad christmas
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

Heads are identical yes, Just swap over the cams and dizzy.

I ran an automatic exhaust cam for a while on my B6T, it did offer a little low-end grunt which was nice, but I swapped back to a turbo cam and I enjoyed the higher-top end. It would have been nice to have both! (BP swap fixed that and more!)

The auto cam also made the engine a little different than a normal B6T

The head on my last B6T was from an n/a automatic, I spent many hours porting & polishing it while my B6T kept trucking and swapped it when I had some downtime.

Also I saw someone post a cheap eBay gasket set - Thats fine if you want it for the seals, but head gasket itself probably isnt very good. I bought one for my old B6T when I was on a budget - and after a little while the high pressure oil passage developed a leak and begin leaking massive amounts of oil in my engine bay.

Very worth it to buy a Fel-Pro or even a Cometic MLS gasket (stock is the compressed graphite type)

Also worth noting that the OEM BP gasket it MLS like a cometic. cool stuff
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

fishface

A sad christmas
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

Hey Rocket,

thanks for that, this time yesterday, my car was looking like it was dead, due to lack of available heads, perth is very isolated, but i was in luck, after much asking around i found a refurbished head, that was never picked up by a customer, its been sitting out the back gathering dust in a cylinder head workshop for a year, guy wanyted 500 bucks for it, a little steep, but its fully recon, so i cant really complain, so looks like the capri lives to boost again.

its cost me some serious dollar of late, too much to let it go, so when ive actually got some spare money i may well be interested in getting an ecu from you, if you have any in stock, any other rocket goodies on offer?
Pages: [1] 2