TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Aftermarket oil pressure Gauge install help  (Read 11028 times)

9193CapriXR2

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1993 Capri XR2, 2006 Range Rover
Aftermarket oil pressure Gauge install help
« on: October 28, 2023, 01:55:09 PM »

I want to install an aftermarket oil pressure gage.  Anyone have a step by step how to guide?

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Aftermarket oil pressure Gauge install help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »

I want to install an aftermarket oil pressure gage.  Anyone have a step by step how to guide?

Depends on which one you get. Some come with a sender and are mechanical (easiest to install), some are electronic (good luck).

I have an old bosch one rolling around in a drawer in my garage I intend to toss on my car at some point. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as a power, ground, and signal to turn the lights/gauge on, and then a new sender that I would replace the factory oil pressure sensor with.

If the Capri is anything like the Miata, the factory oil pressure gauge is a bit of a joke. Its more of a "if this needle moves, theres probably some oil in your engine" gauge.

9193CapriXR2

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1993 Capri XR2, 2006 Range Rover
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 10:07:50 AM »

Yeah factory oil gauge on both my cap4is are garbage which is why I want to install aftermarket gauges.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 01:31:08 PM »

You should be able to find a guide for the gauge you are choosing - it's going to be different for every mfgr depending on how the gauge is set up
For the sender unit you'll want to remove the stock sender and thread the new one in, you may have to match up the threads and get an adapter (brass plumbing fittings would work fine)

I don't think the effort is all that necessary though, the B6 isn't known for oiling issues, and you would get distinct audible cue from the hydraulic lash adjusters in the head if the pressure is indeed low
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"