TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Remove plastic part in line?  (Read 3931 times)

Colorado1

Remove plastic part in line?
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »

My understanding is that either just before or after the original blow off valve there's a small plastic restrictor in one of the small hoses & if I remove that I will get better performance from the original blow off valve. Also there's one better & expensive blow off valve that could replace this one but I'm not going that way or with the SSQV I bought since the whole recirculating system was a borrowed Porsche design that can handle what I throw @ it. Granted spool time a little slower but not going to atmosphere. Anyone remove the plastic piece?

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »

The original setup has a bypass valve which sends air from before the turbo to that T in front of the manifold.

That T crosses to the IAC valve, with the main intake flow forcing air into the butterfly valve.  Not sure where there's any kind of restiction, other then the somewhat small hose size.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »

Apparently it is in the vacuum line going to the stock BPV.

Get rid of the stock BPV. everything about it is terrible, lol. Not exactly sure what you're talking about going to.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

Thanks, I'll check it out & be busy on the car from Friday on with all this time. Thanks you guys, Rob

Colorado1

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »

Rocketman you're exactly right, it's in the BPV. There's a picture of it in roadraceengineering.com-an old school GTX tuner site. I'm getting my info from some of the older GTX rally racers who I asked what to do when I opened my hood. The older BOV was a Bosch N710 but they built a much better one which I'll have to get the info. again. Something along the lines of the APR R1 Diverter valve on achtuning.com. They did mention the J Pipes like you're making as a good plus & of course your chipping,change turbo & exhaust as my last posts have been about. This was the direction I was thinking about heading in since you asked. After reading all over TCapri site ALOT over the year everything they said made sense all at once from many technical explainations & small arguements here & there. Many smart people here! Can't wait to get working on this car. Take care all.

rcdraco

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »

It's a bypass valve, you'll want a blow-off valve, if you want to be really clever, you can route the blow-off gases to the old valve exit, and have the correct setup which would improve spool between shifts and reduce wear on the turbo from the rapid deceleration.

Colorado1

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:06:00 AM »

That's what I woke up thinking about doing. I want to keep the measured air consistent & not go to atmosphere. The piping size on everything was really stressed to me to get the most effecient power(including bends), i.e. bigger can cause a lot of lost power in the wrong places & not think the ricer way. I really like that idea & it'll probably be on top of the list. Haven't even installed RM's ECU or controller or gauges yet. My wallet can't afford any back peddling. It can afford to always go better though. Thanks a ton on the input! Rob

Colorado1

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »

Just removed restriction. Difference is shoving a bic pen barely through opened to the size where a penny can fit. Since I can't afford any major routing right now w/a BOV I'd recommend this to everyone. Got a turn signal to install/so I've got work to do on it for awhile. Can't stand the won't stay on stuff w/the turn signal defect.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Remove plastic part in line?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »

Necro for relevance. I am going to use a WRX bov that I have kicking around. The trick will be routing the outlet back into circulation.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »

It worked! Sounds great, too. Compressor surge and all. No mooing!

Yeah, that restriction plug that was in there...I wonder what that was even there for.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/323gtxtech/boschbovinstructions.htm

While we're at it, here's the still-alive link to RRE's Bosch swap, including the photo showing the restrictor in the BPV input line.

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/323gtxtech/boschbovinstructions.htm

While we're at it, here's the still-alive link to RRE's Bosch swap, including the photo showing the restrictor in the BPV input line.

I posted this somewhere else, put it up in here for discussion as well.  I did what was in the link, but unless I'm looking at their installation picture incorrectly, either I or they have the Bosch/Kayser BPV installed backwards.  From what I understand, the fitting on the side of the BPV is for incoming air from the manifold, and the fitting at the bottom is for outgoing air back to the turbo?  If so, it looks like the pic on RRE's link has this reversed?  When I installed my Kayser BPV, I have the bottom fitting going straight towards the turbo, no J bend, and the side fitting is angled up towards the manifold, with a slight J bend.  Seems to be working just fine so far...

So on my installation, the side fitting, the one pointing at 2 o'clock, I have plumbed up to the intake manifold.  The bottom fitting, the one pointing at 11 o'clock, I have plumbed to the turbo.  On the Road Race Engineering writeup, they have theirs reversed.  Which is the correct way?  I was assuming the neck at the bottom was where the excess pressure went, either back to the turbo or to atmosphere?

And this is a pic from the Road Race Engineering writeup, showing their BPV plumbed the other way.  I asked RRE about this, and got a reply back from Mike Welch.  Apparently, the BPV will work either way.  But what's the RIGHT way to do it?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:32:57 PM by socal1200r »

socal1200r

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »

Seems to be that a BOV like this one would be a perfect solution to keeping the recirculating function of the stock BPV, and add the "whoosh" sound of a BOV, provided it's adjusted properly? 

https://www.amazon.com/Turbosmart-TS-0203-1021-Kompact-Universal-Valve/dp/B002LERQBE/ref=sr_1_199?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1478617693&sr=1-199&keywords=turbo+blow+off+valve 

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »

As I mentioned to you before, you will be giving up some performance by switching to a BOV of any type. You will possibly speed up your turbo spool, but your idle may suffer and your mixture will suffer. It's really just about the sound. If you must have the sound, then go ahead, spend the money and get a BOV. It's your car. I just wouldn't do it on mine.

As for the direction of install, the short answer is that it'll work either way. The long answer of which way works how is here, in case you're wondering which way you should install it: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/464477-Recommendations-Diverter-Valve?p=7150740&viewfull=1#post7150740

socal1200r

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »

Ok, read thru that link.  If I'm reading it correctly, the way I have it installed is the "factory" orientation, and the way that RRE has it is the "reversed" orientation.  Seems that the main difference is the "factory" orientation relies mainly on the spring tension to control when the valve opens, where as the "reversed" orientation also uses boost pressure.  On a stock engine I would imagine it wouldn't make a big difference either way.