TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 1991 XR2 Project  (Read 2204 times)

a97sky

1991 XR2 Project
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »

Hello all I finally got off my butt and started my xr2 project. After 3 years of sitting and deterioration it's in rough shape but it has always been a dream of mine to get it back into drivable condition, I have owned several different cars since and honestly there is nothing like driving the capri with the top down.

Anyways here are a few things I'm going to have to tackle:

-Engine Restoration:
  ~I'm pulling the motor to give it an over haul, I'm going to replace all the gaskets from top to bottom because I know for sure it has a blown head gasket and an oil pan leak. I am also going to replace the timing belt along with the idler and tensioner pulleys (I might as well since I'll have the motor out. I'm gonna clean all the grease and gunk left over from years of leaks and spillages. All the hoses are going to be replaced because most of them are cracking and brittle. Also I'm not being naive in thinking that will be all I have to do, I know there are going to be things along the way that need to be replaced as I go. Hopefully when I am done it will be running like new again.

-Body:
 The body is actually in fairly good shape, no rust just one dent in the drivers side quarter panel and a few chips here or there so it wont take long to prep it for paint (I haven't decided what I want to paint it yet I may keep it the stock red).

-Interior:
 This is trashed my window regulators are shot so the drivers side window is stuck up and passenger side is stuck down, all the carpet and seats need to be redone or replaced, the dash is cracking and both door handles need to be replaced (to be honest I'm not looking forward to this part.)

Well anyways that is what I am up against, I haven't decided if I want to restore it to stock or if I want to mod it out I'll let you know as I go.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
1991 XR2 Project
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »

Good luck!  If you need parts for your interior, let me know!  I have a number of parts cars with almost complete interiors.

Also, make sure you post here if you have any issues.  We'll give you a hand!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

a97sky

1991 XR2 Project
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »

Thank you much appreciated. I'll let you know my progress as I go.
---robbie