TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: car stalling  (Read 4337 times)

beej8508

car stalling
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

I have a 91 Capri that intermittantly stalls.  It it is in park and idling..it will stall.  
When I am stopped at a light..in drive...I really have to floor it to stop it from stalling.  Have any of you experienced this?

thanks

JJ

car stalling
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »

is the idle speed correct? (around 850 rpm)

my uneducated guess would tend to think it's a cracked air hose or something. have you gone through all of those?

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
car stalling
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »

Beej! Your question and problem doesn't sound capri specific. It sounds like general automotive. Have you done a tune-up? Check and replace sparkplugs if needed, check timing. If it's not missing a beat, then the plug wires should be good. Check for vacumn leaks as previously mentioned. There are are few ways to do this. You can gently move bend any vacumn hoses around and if you get an RPM change then that hose is bad or loose where it hook into a port or hose nipple. Is the engine racing to an elevated idle? Then take a spray bottle of water an spray along all vacumn hoses to soak them, if the RPM drops or engine dies; then at that spot you have a crack or split. Next thing that is easily done at home is a de-carb procedure at fuel-injection intake. pull your air-cleaner hoses away from the throttle body. I may wrong on the technical name forthis part, but it is where the accelerator cable hooks up. Then start your engine.Take a can of carburator cleaner and spray all around the the butter-fly area til its visually clean. you may have to accellerate the engine a little while doing this procedure. There is an additonal procedure Iused to perform involving a mixture of lacquer thinner and mineral spirits. I would mix a pint in a can or jar and find a vacumn port after the throttle body hook a hose long enough to drop into the can and let the engine vacumn suck it dry. If you choose to do this be ready for a large cloud of SMOG. You must run the engine at an elevated speed. This procedure cleans the passages down into the engine clens the tips of the injectors and loosens up a lot of carbon built up in the combustion chambers of the engine. If your car still stumbles after this then you should see a good auto mechanic. Good Luck!  Gus

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
car stalling
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »

I would check for a vacuum leak somewhere along the intake.

Gus, the engine won't run if the intake duct is removed from the throttle body. The VAF needs to be connected at all times or the engine wont run.

Try spraying with WD-40 instead of water to look for a vacuum leak, so as not to cause any electrical problems. Also, try a product called Seafoam, its a tried and true product for removing carbon deposits in the intake manifold, valvestems, and combustion chambers.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
car stalling
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »

Beej and Rocketman  I apologize for going off on a long tangent that went far beyond the problem that was stated. Yes! The engine won't run without the VAF in place. I got ahead of myself and did not read back what I wrote. Also I forgot to state about spraying along the intake to head area to check for leaks. I won't comment further about the full decarb as there are so many liquids that mechanics believe in, including just straight TAP WATER. Again my apologies  Gus

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
car stalling
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

Beej! Did you come up anything on your problem?

drbob

• Old-Timer
car stalling
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »

my car did this and it was the distributor
Mid-America Capri Gathering Founder/Team Capri Moderator
--------------------------

1994 Mercury Capri made in AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN Cattle dog/brittney mix
AUSTRALIAN Shepherd
Is anyone else sensing a pattern?

Jim Fix

car stalling
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

I have all of these problems mentioned by BeeJ. I have replaced the cat converter and muffler, replaced plugs, wires, condenser and distributor rotor, used seafoam to clean gas line, and replaced the oxogen sensor and fuel filter and checked for vac line leaks. I have not used carb cleaner at the throttle body. if I do this with no results then what am I missing?

PS the turbo boose will only go to 7 lb. Should I not also be able to get 10 on the meter?
Thanks.
Jim fix

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
car stalling
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

7lbs of boost is normal.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

capri23

car stalling
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

ya i have the same problem, i just installed my new intercooler,a 20x15x3 srt-4,the car ran great before i installed the intercooler, now the idle fluctuate up and down between 2000rpm to 11000rpm then it dies out, i checked all the tubing i installed everything seems to be tight i,ll check the vacuum hoses next thanks for the suggestion