TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 91 XR2 fuel pump relay location  (Read 6305 times)

operator4100

91 XR2 fuel pump relay location
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

Hey there all, Just got my engine set in after rebuilding, having cranking problems, where is the fuel pump relay located? also there is a large ground wire I cant find where it goes,I've looked at pix displayed on here and noticed it at the transmission side,but where do I connect it?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »

The fuel pump relay, if I recall correctly, is located beneath the ECU. Check the wiring diagrams at TechCapri.com

The large ground should connect to one of the large bolts on the transmission. If its an XR2 I think you can use one of the bolts for the clutch cable bracket.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

operator4100

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »

I took the panels off each side of the console but dont see anything like it, I can see the PCM just have to look some more. grounds seem to be a major factor on these systems,I saw where one end of the large ground was connected to the transmission in your pix Rocketman,but where does the other attach????? I pulled this engine out about a year ago and it sat on the bench waiting on me, seems as though one sitting creates lots of problems !!!!!!Your pix have been very helpfull Rocketman wish I had done that... Lessons LEARNED DW

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »

Glad they are coming to use.

That large ground is part of the charging harness I believe, and the other end ends up at the negative battery cable.

If you are trying to start your car without that connected, then that may be your problem.

To get to the fuel pump relay, you have to remove the "PCM", there are two relays mounted to the firewall under the pcm.

Check to make sure all your connections are there first. Some are easy to overlook.

1992xr2

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »

Are you sure about the realys being there? I just went out and looked to be sure but the only thing behind my pcm is the heater ducts for the vents that (used to) blow heat at the back seat.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

foster4life

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »

the relay is there, i just replaced mine a few months back

operator4100

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »

Ok guys I want to update you, first of all remember that this car has been sitting for a year but not out in the weather.I replaced the fuel pump yesterday it was shot funny it was working when I pulled the engine last year while at the parts store the guy said might want to check the fuel pump relay so that was where the question arose where is it. the book says beside the PCM I'll be dam if I see it but anyway;I started back working on it this morning and by using carb cleaner spraying into the intake where the rubber hose connects form the turbo I got it to fire up! its running rough but when I connect turbo hose the engine stalls out and will not idle you have to hold it at about 2000 to 2500 rpm...????? did you guys know to change the fuel pump all you had to do was REMOVE the backseat? I had to get about 5 gallons of old gas out of mine so it did'nt upset me to bad....any ideas?????????????

Clubsprint Turbo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »

Sounds like a vacuum leak... Check all your hoses for leaks and splits... If they're all ok it might need another can of throttle body cleaner. If it's never been done before it can take 2 or 3 cans to clean all the gum and junk out of the vacuum system.

I've found the foaming stuff, you spray half a can with the engine off and the rest of the can with the engine running, to work the best. Make sure you change the engine oil after you do it, as apparently it will get past the rings and contaminate the engine oil.

I actually have an 89 N/A that I use as a daily driver and when I have to park in shopping centres and that... It was sitting around for 2 years before I turned it over. It had the same problem. The fuel had gone bad and the pump died. I changed the fuel in the tank and the pump. It fired up but ran like a dog and would cut out when under half a tank of fuel turning left hand corners?

I used 3 cans of the foaming type carb cleaner... I sprayed it down the fuel line both sides of the filter, throttle body and down every vacuum hose... Let it sit for a bit then started it up. Pulled the throttle so it revs at about 2.5k spraying down the hoses and throttle body again... It improved... I let it sit for a while before repeating... Finally the problem was gone... Replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil and the car hasn't missed a beat since.

operator4100

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

Thanks for the input,I'll be back at it next weekend. any ideas why it wont run with the turbo hose attached not that it was running right to start with???

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

Have you replaced the fuel filter? If its clogged you might not be getting any fuel to the engine.

Also, all of the intake ducting must be secured (after the airflow meter) in order for the car to run properly. The fuel pump switch is in the airflow meter, and unless there is airflow through it, you will not get any fuel pressure.

operator4100

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »

no I didn't replace the fuel filter,but I do know when I replaced the fuel pump I used the jumper wire on the left side of the engine bay/firewall fuel pump test connector, from the fuel filter I connected a length of hose to a catch can and purged out the line from the tank I seem to have good flow; then connecting to the throtle body I bleed air out of the fuel rail by loosing the bolt on the end of the fuel rail, so I sure I'm getting fuel at the fuel rail.I will change the filter though. I'm thinking vacuum leaks like you guys????