TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: ECU question  (Read 2178 times)

Spanky

ECU question
« on: July 05, 2008, 04:16:00 AM »

I'm just getting my '91 XR2 (Manual trans, Cali emissions) back on the road after a major restore. (Rebuilt eng, turbo, paint, top, and interior and all the little crap that breaks) It's running and I'm driving it, but the power is off a bit especially when it warms up. The mileage is about 24 per gallon on the short trips I'm taking it on. Not bad, pretty close to what it should be.
I've been trying to diagnose the lack of power using 91 Ford engine emmissions shop manual and the tests are showing the ECA (what I believe you call the ECM, located under dash behind kick panel passenger side) to be bad. It's failing the Quick test QT10 (showing all switches failing) leading to pinpoint test SMC showing ECA failure. For the heck of it I tested several of the switches coming into the ECA harness, and they are getting proper voltage when tripped. So I know the that the inputs are coming in, but not going out.
My questions are...
Would I get 24MPG with a bad ECA? I would think with that major of a failure the car wouldn't run or be really bad.
What would cause an ECA failure? Did I do something stupid when I rehooked in the engine?
Is there someone I can send the ECA to for testing?

JJ

ECU question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »

Back in '04 I had my computer repaired through Bumper to Bumper Auto. They sent it to Blue Streak America in Boca Raton, FL. was about $200 including shipping.