TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: What is that whirring helicopter sound coming from my engine?  (Read 2505 times)

armygentleman

• TeamCapri Supporter

The car is a mercury capri xr2, its a manual transmisson. I have a turbo charged I4 engine. When I drive I hear this continuous whirring or buzzing that gets louder as I drive faster or accelerate more. The sound is less noticeable at low speeds. Some ideas I have gotten is that its bad bearings in one of the belt pulleys, bad bearings in the axles, the clutch plate, or a sign my water pump is going to die.  Is this a potentially fatal problem if I take my time to fix it?
Jason R Salcido

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
What is that whirring helicopter sound coming from my engine?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »

happen when you let off of the gas or shift?

BOV venting back into the intake pipe. it is a plastic pipe and make a terrible sound. i thought same thing about mine until i realized that was it.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Xr2fast87

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing about my capri, the sound is only at higher speeds or higher load, it makes like a clown horn sound like a low pitched
wahhh kinda sound .  It's not the BPV because I can hear that too and it sounds good (a che che che sound) compared to this sound

My friend has a 91Xr2 that also makes this sound

Xr2fast87

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

also wanted to add that is makes the sound at higher speeds under very light throttle and you can make it longer or shorter depending on how long you hold the pedal there. the sound is not present when shifting only a che che che from the bypass valve (BPV)

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »

still think it is the plastic crap of an intake pipe from the turbo up.

mine makes a weird noise too
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

FamiliaGT

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »

Sounds like a number of possibilities.
Are your ears atoned to the sound of the turbo spooling?   Symptoms almost match what you are describing, but then again, Ive heard the BPV on the later B6T's leak under boost pretty badly after time.   Find someone with a GT or GTX from 88-89, and get a BPV from their old setup.   Or swap it out to a Vent To Atmospher BOV.   Should cure this.