TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Need Crank and Piston set  (Read 1978 times)

toedfe

Need Crank and Piston set
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »

Needing some help here.  I pulled the engine out of my daughters 91 XR2 and it is toast.  Had a short nosed crank that the last owner demolished.  Machine shop told me they can't find pistons for this thing anywhere, at least not turbo.  I am looking to go at least .020 over but at this poitn I am not too picky and will go as far as .040 if the pistons are available.  If anyone either has some NOS parts around or a long nosed crank they don't need (or any idea where I might find such items), I would be truly grateful for the information.

Many thanks
Frank

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Need Crank and Piston set
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone makes OE replacement pistons for the XR2 - but I know you can run OEM N/A pistons in the XR2 as long as you're running proper octane fuel and aren't boosting it like crazy. The extra compression gives a bump in power and fuel economy. I don't think you'll want to go more than .020 over, the bore spacing won't allow much more, it's pretty tight. Your shop can check that.

That being said, it's probably substantially easier and cheaper to find a junkyard motor with good compression, change the water pump & timing belt, drop it in & be done with it. The NA blocks can be used, you'll need to swap the turbo specific items to the new block but that's not too much work.

FYI if you look for 1.6L Miata stuff regarding the crank & pistons - it's all the same stuff.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"