TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Non-Interference Engine???  (Read 4534 times)

Carolina_Guy

Non-Interference Engine???
« on: December 23, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »

Does anyone know for sure if the 91 Capri XR2 engine is a Non-Interference engine??

Fiano

• http://www.guzzoconcrete.com
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »

1.6L SOHC & DOHC, 1.8L SOHC & DOHC 4-Cyl are a  Non-Interference ENGINE   JUST FIT THE BELT AND CHECK COMPRESSION if the valves are bent no compression but they cant be bent!!!

Carolina_Guy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »

Thanks... Guess I will find out tomorrow for sure.. I'm going to install the new belt along with a new water pump..  The car will fly when it is running...but it sure is a pain to work on..

Carolina_Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

Well... I installed new timimg belt along with a new water pump.. Set timing marks on cams and crank and re-assembled... Tried starting but engine sounds as if it isn't firing at all... I know it is because I can see the arc if I pull a plug wire while trying to crank...  I also checked compression on all four cylinders.. All four checked out at between 78 & 80 psi.. Any Suggestions??

zxtunerdotcom

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 08:51:00 AM »

low compression on all 4 cyls and you just installed a timing belt... it's gotta be the cam timing.

i'll bet the cam or crank moved and put the belt off a couple teeth. line up the crank and see if the cams line up correctly.

rob

Carolina_Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 06:30:00 PM »

I took the timing belt cover off the cams and they still line up perfectly with the crank.. I was traveling around 55 mph when the belt broke.. I'm starting to wonder if maybe something in the computer or a sensor shut down when the belt broke running at that speed and needs to be reset...

Carolina_Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »

Problem is solved...  Cam pullys have 2 marks on each one of them.. One for intake and one for exhaust.. Both cams were timed with intake mark.. I knew something was wrong because a car doesn't have that much power with only 78 psi of compression.. Thanks Guys..

91capry

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/88celicast
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

ok wtf... i just did the same job and the cam timing is good according to your mess up because they are not both set on the same thing. but mine wont start, it cranks and cranks but it doesnt start, im startin to get pissed off at this two week project.

D22A

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSZAQnluDNk&feature=related
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

it,s means  that if my timing belt will broke it,s will not damige  VALVES?????????????
i do not drive capri enymore but i am still here and not going anywhere  
1996 MT 3000GT LS
1993 CAPRI n/a

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »

It will not damage the valves.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

Hey D!  The Capri motors are a non-interference motor. If you break a belt, fortunately you won't have problems with bent valves like numerous other motors would.  Gus