TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: fuel leaking out of exhaust manifold & tailpipe area  (Read 9240 times)

blueamber

Re: fuel leaking out of exhaust manifold & tailpipe area
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »

So, is that old ECU trash, or can a new memory chip fix it?   Is the #1/#3 injector line a discrete part, or what?  Seems a shame to toss this relatively expensive part if it can be salvaged...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: fuel leaking out of exhaust manifold & tailpipe area
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »

The Capri uses batch fire, so it actually only has two injector channels - the wires are actually split in the engine bay on the fuel injector harness itself. 1&3 fire together and 2&4 fire together.

It sounds like a hardware problem - I have heard of a similar problem before as well but it was intermittent and the issue could not be replicated on demand. (Terri "Darqueyes" 94 XR2) I believe replacing the ECU corrected the issue.

My guess would be water damage, or a blown electrolytic capacitor. These cars are approaching what, 23 years old now? Electrolytic capacitor failure is common on older stereos/electronics and on certain Mitsubishi computers. And almost every ecu I've handled (200+) has had water damage on the case. Some worse than others, and a few have had water/coolant reach the circuit boards.

Might be repairable? If the tracks on the board are damaged then it's not worth trying to fix.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Pages: 1 [2]