TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: advice on a couple of sounds  (Read 3249 times)

fishface

advice on a couple of sounds
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »

been driving my 90 turbo for a couple months now, it drives and performes very well oher than leaking a bit of water,

theres a couple of noises that im not sure are healthy, i know small turbod engines can sound a bit rough off boost,

when i fire her up from cold, theres a fairly loud knocking sound, maybe tapppets? for about twenty seconds, then it stops, however a couple of times its taken longer to dissapear, and continues knocking while i drive, ive found that the car doesnt boost properly , when its doing this. but then it warms up and goes away.

second one is a kind of rasp or scrape sound just before the car boosts, when boosting it sounds healthy and clean, but just before the turbo comes in at 3000rpm theres a sound that doesnt sound great, although could just be something vibrating.

ok, finally, the car seems to have a habt of hunting around when its idling, revs slowly pulse form about 900rpm and 1200 when im sitting at the lights...

any one who can shed any light on any of these, id be very grateful.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »

Hey Fishy!  Normally I would immediately say your HLAs are clacking but 20secs is a very long time. HLAs are the hydraulic tappets. Try running a heavier weight oil when you next change it, maybe 20/40. I have 20/50 in one of my Capris and straight 30wt in a couple of others. Next problem possibly sounds like the turbo is dragging the wheel on the housing. If so then a rebuild is due. Do it before it blows the seals.  Gus

fishface

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »

hey gus,

thanks for that.
thinking on it it probably a bit more like 10, but thats bad news about the turbo, ill take it to my mechanic see what he thinks,

I cant really afford to spend money on the car right now,
makes me think I should shift it,
whats a reasonable price for a turbo rebuild?

thanks dude, i bought it off an old lady who always let it cool down, so i figured the turbo would be ok. bummer.

fishface

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MX5-EUNOS-ROADSTER-1-6-NA6CE-B6-KKR280-TURBO-KIT-89-93_W0QQitemZ370214151505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item56327ba551&_trksid=p3286.m20 .l1116

is this turbo any use for us...

also if it is indeed my turbo dragging on the housing would i i be getting any other tell tale signs ? the car doesnt smoke atall.

weighing up options:/

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »

No that turbo isn't any use to us unless you go all sorts of custom bits to go along with it. Even then I dont know if it would clear the hood, its meant for a RWD car.

Is the scraping high pitched? does it do it at a specific RPM or just when you boost? OEM exhausts have a lot of heat shields that tend to rust or break free and rattle. Check your turbo for shaftplay. Usually when a turbo is worn to the point that it scrapes you'll be getting oil into the intake. Check your intake piping after the turbo too.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

Hey Fishy!  That will bolt on but unfortunately it won't work with-out major fabrication. That manifold is mean't for a miata. Miatas are rear wheel drive. therefore the motor is mounted in a differing axis. And the turbo is on the top of the manifold. It may not clear the hood of our Capris. Your existing turbo may have too much end or side play. this is based on your description of noises and reluctance of boosting when it should. The turbo will start showing oil out the car's exhaust when the bearing and seal go out. When they do, you'll be doing a cheap impersonation of 007 bond. But will cost $500 for a rebuild.  Gus

fishface

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

hey Rocket and Gus,

thanks for your help guys, when i get a free hour im going to inspect the turbo a bit closer,

the noise sounds like quite  a low rasp, and goes for about half a second, just as the turbo kicks, it doesnt really do it, if i press the gas slowly and let the boost just feed in, its really only when i floor it.

the car pulls very hard, ive driven a couple of these, and its performance seems very good most of the time.

i have wondered whether its just the sudden shift in revs that is making something vibrate behind the dash, ill check the heat shields, capris seem to have a lot of creaks and vibrations.

well thanks guys, i was really hoping to spend my next bit of free cash on some wheels, not a new or refurbed turb.

i

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »

Whats the mileage on your capri?

fishface

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

135,000km,
thanks 83000 miles,

like i said i bought it off of a 55 year old woman, who had owned it from new, always garaged, doing a ten minute drive to work a few times a week, she knew to let it sit for a couple of mins on idle. so it was a bout as safe a private sale as i could find, payed 3700, au dollars, thats about 3000 US,

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »

At 83,000 miles the turbo should not be blown.